elecsa

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chance my arm here.....would it be from days of fusible links in that draw a heavy/ hot load past a lower rated fuse would up its temperature to closer to its melt point??? And by grading them helps protect lower rated fusibles....duck...incoming
on some older fuse boxes, the fuse holder next to the main switch was designed for the highest rating (i.e green 45a). the others were designed for 30a

I would think its probably a good idea to spread the loaded and not so loaded ones throughout the consumer unit. You don't want too many high loaded ones together.

It doesn't really matter where you put the breakers IMHO. The main switch and busrail are designed to carry those currents. Domestic jobs.

I've come across problems in a commercial situation with 3 16A MCBs in an enclosure with contactors feeding lighting tracks . The tracks pulled 15A each and in the hot summer they would keep tripping out . I just moved them apart on the Dinrail as they were affecting each other . The thermal part of the trips were getting too hot .

MCBs not always a good idea in boiler rooms.

recently had a board i had done picked up on a periodic for tiewraping cables in consumer unit and taping rcbo flying earths... too neat??

Waiting for my Elecsa assessment next week, the assessor told me to just wait until i got my accreditation to sign it off

An observational comment about this notification and assessment concept. At the commencement of Part-P electricians were already trading and doing what is now notifiable work as just the normal everyday tasks. The first batches of contractors joining the domestic installer type schemes were assessed purely on the standard of work and compliance with BS7671. Nothing of Part P, as the work they were assessed on had no obligations to a law that did not exists. I am uncertain if this basic assessment criteria has changed such that they are now also assessing compliance with the notification process or if its is still purely a BS7671 compliance assessment. Additionally some of the schemes did originally want contractors to have been trading for at least 2 years before they were eligible for entry, but I am not sure how that would work now that notification is establish and up and running.

Doc H.

get assessed on a job that isnt yet completed, :|

you are not required to notify the work until everything has been finished. :)

remember that extra socket you are going to radial beside the new CU you have just fitted on the job you are being assessed on? well I have just reminded you that it needs doing the day after the assessor has been, so you cant possibly have notified it yet, its not finished,

and, as its a new build then BC are already involved. simples. ;)

This may help others as I presume you have joined. I had the same quandary but my ELECSA assessor said they were not interested in whether the job was notified as they do not police Part P. They were more interested in the workmanship and correct interpretation of BS7671. Hope that help.

Actually..if push came to shove and someone wanted to be arsey with you..

There IS official guidance in Approved Document P page 11 section b notifying work when installer is competent but not registered to self cert their work...

HOWEVER....

It is my understanding (Here-say) that most assessments are assessing your knowledge and application of BS7671 regs & rules..

NOT the notification process of Part P...

My own first assessment was carried out at the start of Part P after I had been trading for several years already,...

where electricians had been trading and working on all sorts of jobs from rewire to move a light!

so jobs, (that did not need to be notified), completed within the past few months prior to assessment were in abundance..

BUT..

I haven't heard of anyone failing an assessment because a job was not notified?

:C
So why is it that most people deemed competent are incapable of accurately filling in an EIC and know very little (if anything) about the BS7671?

Interestingly, Part P requires a competent person to be able to complete MW/EIC`s yet the EAS document only requires a competent person to ISSUE certificates - this explains why, upon assessment, no-one is asked to fill in an EIC, even though Part P requires them to be able to do so ....

Perhaps the EAS document should require a competent person to DEMONSTRATE their ability to both complete the required paperwork AND understand it? - or would this fall into the "too difficult" category i.e. we will lose members .....

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by what ive seen recently....most cant read let alone write out a document requiring technical knowledge.

Latest posts