Electrcial Fire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extension15

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear of these, but have never seen or seen a near miss (where it could of happened)...

So what and WHY (and where) does a electrical fire start???

; \

Some examples of your experiences??

I hear of these, but have never seen or seen a near miss (where it could of happened)...So what and WHY (and where) does a electrical fire start???

; \

Some examples of your experiences??
loose connection ... passing high current...

arcin & sparking, overheating & eventual burning.

couple of years back had a guy ring me up saying the fuse box was on fire! :( :eek: :_|

actually it was the meter tails at the electric meter mounted above the fusebox...

insulation melted & burning.. it was dripping burning PVC landing on the top of the CU that was still burning!!! :eek: :_|

Apart from the normal overheated terminals I have only had experience of one fire...

I went to a shop, which was being done up by some Turks as a fast food restaurant, to do some work on the lighting circuit. I arranged to go back a week or so later to do some work in one of the employees flats. When I got to the shop I found that it had burn't down (absolutley gutted) inc flat above and roof. Three fire engines had been in attendance, one of them being the regional platform engine.

After an investigation the fire dept' found that it was an electrical fault that had started the fire. The cables in question were part of the socket circuit which had been twisted together and then tiled over.

Luckily for me, that was a circuit that I hadn't worked on.

loose connection ... passing high current...arcin & sparking, overheating & eventual burning.

couple of years back had a guy ring me up saying the fuse box was on fire! :( :eek: :_|

actually it was the meter tails at the electric meter mounted above the fusebox...

insulation melted & burning.. it was dripping burning PVC landing on the top of the CU that was still burning!!! :eek: :_|
Don't get me wrong specs, I've seen many many burn outs...

But never one that could of really started a house fire..

; \

Don't get me wrong specs, I've seen many many burn outs...But never one that could of really started a house fire..

; \
I know what you are saying...

IHMO there is a big difference between hot and melty stage to the actual burning & flames! :) ;)

This particular one could have caused a fire if customer had gone to bed....

Cu was in the cellar... about 11:00pm ish..

customer smelt burning!! :( :( :(

if they had gone to bed??? who knows?

They have now fitted smoke detectors in the cellar! :) ;)

Trouble is with the statistics a lot of so called electrical fires are what is plugged in and not actual fixed wiring so if some idiot covers a heater and it catches on fire that is an electrical fire but seeing some peoples wiring I am suprised that there are not more electrical fires.

Batty

Have seen an old bakelite meter go up in the past, the acrid smell that the owner had smelt for weeks beforehand should have been a clue that something was wrong.

Luckily it was over quickly & no-one was hurt.

Not seen a fire caused by electrics either. Seen overloaded sub -mains in factories but never in danger of bursting into flames. Came upon a 500 watt TH flood high up in a church , had scorched the oak beam it was pointing at from 4" away.

Once when waiting at my local wholesaler ,after closing, for a fax to arrive, smell of burning from back office. Someone had stuck sheets of paper to the screen of a PC then folded them back to cover all the vent holes in the top of the monitor.

Like many places I go to , they never switch the PC,s and monitors off when going home.

Smoke was rising from the paper and was about to catch.

Well if its a fire that cant be explained but the fire investigation officer finds the seat of the fire is next to or near an appliance/accessory, then they always put probable cause of fire "electrical ".

Only seen 3 electrical fires.

2 domestic in thatched cottages both down to lighting. One a 500watt security light under eves to close to thatch (more a positioning cause than wiring).

Second dl's in upstairs ceilings no hoods terminal connectors burnt up due to loose connections end result lost half the house (put down to the dl's as others were found with burnt/melted terminal strips in the end of the house that escaped the fire damage).

3rd one was a fortnight/three weeks ago at a factory, TP machinery in outbuilding went up ocpd had been bypassed.

Latest posts