Electric Shower Hot Water Cutting Out Problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ah44

Reaction score
Hello, I hope someone out there may be able to help.
We have a Triton Caselona 2 Electric shower.
It currently cuts out when the dial is turned to the hot water setting.

We had an issue several months ago, when the pressure release device kicked in,releasing the little prd ball, and letting water out of the bottom of the unit. 
This was quickly fixed with some replacement prd balls.

A couple of days ago, the prd device kicked in again. I cleaned the shower head with descaler, put a replacement ball in the prd, and turned the shower on,cold setting. OK, then 1 bar hot.....bang the prd goes again.
prd ball replaced again with another new one. Shower head taken off completely, hose checked for kinks etc..looks ok. switch on shower via cold setting set to max.. ok.. switch to 1 bar hot.....bang! water cuts out again (each time this happens the pull switch turns off,as does the main shower fuse under the stairs).. 
PRD checked again, this time ball is still in place ? everything put back together, and both shower head and hose removed. 
Shower set back to cold, max setting, ie 8,, switched on, ok,, then dial set to 1 hot bar,still on max 8,,, bang !! water cuts out again.

Could it be something to do with either the main fuse, or pull switch box/fuse ?? Or something else entirely ?

Many thanks in advance for any advice and help
Anthony

Welcome to the forum, It is most unlikely to be a problem with any of the fuses, assuming they are the correct rating for the shower they are probably working correctly and removing the power due to a fault somewhere on the circuit or in the shower. From the information you have given,  so far it reads that you have done no electrical testing on any parts of the circuit or shower unit? Just trial and error continual replacement of the PRD. Do you have access to any correct electrical test meters? Have you tested your actual water pressure with the shower disconnected? With your initial problem from a couple of months ago did you actually establish a cause of the original PRD operation? of just replace the PRD to clear the symptom.  How old is the shower, was it installed by yourself or by a competent trades person? do you have any electrical certificates for the original shower installation giving the original cable test readings? Do you know if it is a Fuse/MCB or and RCD that tripped at the fuse box?

Doc H.

.....bang! water cuts out again (each time this happens the pull switch turns off,as does the main shower fuse under the stairs).. 
Describe what's happening here better please:

"pull switch turns off" well if it does it's faulty, Are you saying you have to turn the pull switch on again to get it to work, or just the light goes off?

"As does the main shower fuse"  well if a FUSE goes you will be replacing it, so you don't mean a fuse do you. do you mean an MCB? or perhaps you mean an RCD? (that will have a little test button)

A much better description of what's happening is needed.

but to me it sounds like your shower is goosed if it's tripping an mcb or rcd. Given it's history, I would look at replacing it. 8.5KW Triton showers are now under £50 in Wickes and a few other places.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the posts guys. The shower unit is around 5 years old. It looks like a replacement may be needed by the sounds of it, especially if that works out cheaper than spare parts.

If I source a replacement, would you have an idea of how much I would be charged to have it installed by a suitably qualified tradesperson ?

Many thanks

Providing everything is up to date (i.e the wiring is in good order and you have an RCD) and there's a working isolator tap for the water, then a replacement should take an hour or 2 at whatever the hourly rate is where you live.

Dare I say it ???

If everything is up to scratch and you replaced it like for like wattage and a triton you could do it yourself......

for me to do it £75-£100

Thanks guys, I will give it some thought. As it is a bank holiday at the moment, I do not think we would be able to get anyone out to look at it for a few days anyway.

Think id charge a 1er poss £125 as unlike dave I couldnt do it in an hour or two :)
Why not?

It's a Triton shower now. the cheap Wickes Triton showers therefore will have the same water entry points.

Power and water off. remove shower. Fit new one. Easy in an hour. Shouldn't have to do much more than drill new mounting holes in the wall.  New olive on the water connection.

Change old riser and shower head for new one. Test and job done.

If you find faults, no rcd, water that won't turn off, water feed in wrong corner etc then it will take longer of course.

But of course hourly labour rates are a lot higher down where you are, and you need to allow for travelling costs if not very close to home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not?

It's a Triton shower now. the cheap Wickes Triton showers therefore will have the same water entry points.

Triton showers do a wide range of models, although many do, they do not all have the same water and electrical entry points, including the non-branded items made for places such as Wickes. Without seeing the actual existing and replacement units, it can be wise to allow time for aligning pipes or cables etc rather than assuming a straight swap. Other problems include; if the existing unit has been tiled around rather than fitted on top of tiles or its not uncommon to find a failed or failing cord pull isolator, which may need replacement. Therefore anything from two hours to half a day could be more realistic for a shower replacement including full testing. I can be better to prime the customer about timescales which allow for common problems that can arise rather than giving just the cheapest quickest costs for if everything is straight forward.

Doc H.