Electrician badly hurt.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Had a call from my mate today. His boy is the sparks injured at the college refurb in Kent.

40% flash burns to chest arms hands & face, not to sure what they were doing but the two lads were told by two other superiors that all cables they were to work on had been tested & were isolated........Unfortunately it wasnt.

He's in a very bad way tanken by air ambulance straight to hospital ICU.

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/College-shuts-as-worker-critically-injured-in-fire-newsinkent35896.aspx?news=local

Needless to say guy's & girls, remember to stay safe CHECK ISOLATION YOURSELF do NOT rely on the word of others.

Indeed patch.

The lads parents are at his bedside...and HSE are all over the campus switch room.

...Needless to say guy's & girls, remember to stay safe CHECK ISOLATION YOURSELF do NOT rely on the word of others.
:Applaud :Applaud:Applaud:Applaud

Absolutely!

We can all mock and joke about being asked to do safe isolation on our assesments...

and about locking off circuits etc...

but its not a laughing matter when these are the possible consequences.

Thoughts and concerns for this particular lad and his family relatives. :(

Thank you for reminding us all again M107:x

Would be good if you can keep us informed when you hear any news.

I hope all will be well.

I wish this fella well and all is ok with His mate . It's ironic that whilst I was at college , safe isolation was pumped into us until it become second nature and I still do it now after locking off the supply . I really do wish this lad a speedy recovery and thinking of his family too :|

sorry to sound twisted,

but I will often leave a 30mA lighting circuit turned on just to try and teach apprentices NOT to trust anyone if a circuit is dead,

if you want to be sure it is dead kill it and lock it off yourself, then test it twice with two different meters,(my first is a neon! I know! thats just me.)

keep us informed as to how the lads are please,

hope all is ok. :|

Sorry Steps - if you are doing that deliberately you are twisted!

We've all been caught out in the past and felt first class prats - but to put your apprentice in jeopardy is culpable negligence!

Think about what you are doing. Do you really trust your untested 30mA RCD and the possible congenital heart defect of your apprentice?

Tell the little gits your own experiences and warn them. Don't expose them to false danger! !!!!

Lighting circuits are not, if protected properly, going to cause any deaths unless anyone has a serious heart condition.

I do not think H&S would like what steps has done or does do, but it does teach people a valuable lesson, and one I learned when a neutral kick sent me on my backside, because I believed when told it was safe.

I will always remember the kick from the wind up megger, I doubt many apprentices are subject to that nowadays.

Seriously though!

Under no circumstances should you work on live installations, unless it is absolutly neccessary, and any circuit should be tested regardless of what information you are given, using the safe isolation procedure.

Sorry Steps - if you are doing that deliberately you are twisted! We've all been caught out in the past and felt first class prats - but to put your apprentice in jeopardy is culpable negligence!

Think about what you are doing. Do you really trust your untested 30mA RCD and the possible congenital heart defect of your apprentice?

Tell the little gits your own experiences and warn them. Don't expose them to false danger! !!!!
I agree Dave,

not the first week ones,

is good on the five week ones though,(would really like to stuff a 3036 in there with no RCD and watch them go!)

but only the idiots ask me to turn it off anyway,

darwins theory.

evolution I believe its called.

(BTW, the RCD would have been tested as a matter of course before any work is carried out, along with Ze etc.)

We all know what can happen and I'm sure we all wish the lad well .

It has triggered a few memories from over the years but I feel this is not the time to start pontificating on H&S, lets see the lad on the road to recovery first.

Sorry Steps - if you are doing that deliberately you are twisted! We've all been caught out in the past and felt first class prats - but to put your apprentice in jeopardy is culpable negligence!

Agree with you Dave:Applaud:x

But... I can also see what Steps is trying to do.....

I have had a few lighting circuit belts before now...

Blinking Borrowed neutrals!headbangX(

less hazardous than 32amp Ring or 40amp shower IMHO...

that said I wouldn't do it myself to someone else.

:|

Agree with you Dave:Applaud:xBut... I can also see what Steps is trying to do.....

I have had a few lighting circuit belts before now...

Blinking Borrowed neutrals!headbangX(

that said I wouldn't do it myself to someone else.

The people I've worked with in the past taught me something valueable .. Not to trust them ! rotten so and so's ;) Wind ups between colleagues in the work place is one thing ( insulation resistance testers ) but What happened to this young lad is another :(

It can only take 50 m A @230V, just the route thru the body + time + contact resistance that makes the difference between life and death.

Sounds like this was a major Flash over to have caused a fire, lets hope he lives to learn the lesson, just reminds us all of what we are risking every day.

How?

I would have thought it would depend on how well insulated (or not) that you were, not on the rating of the conductors:)

And if, as Steptoe suggests, the circuit is protected by a 30mA RCD, then it doesn't really matter if it's a lighting circuit or a 40A shower, does it?

It can only take 50 m A @230V, just the route thru the body + time + contact resistance that makes the difference between life and death.Sounds like this was a major Flash over to have caused a fire, lets hope he lives to learn the lesson, just reminds us all of what we are risking every day.
I thought the 50ma had to go across the heart causing ventricual fabrilication ?

From day one at college we have had safe isolation and the dangers drumed into us.

Our lecturers have taken great lengths to try to make sure we do not become another statistic, I am sure everyone at some point has done something not strictly correct , be it use a neon to dead test , a volt stick or a multi meter rather than approved tester.

My main concern is not the reasons as to what happened or if it was RCD protected or not, the plain and simple truth is a young life is at risk and even if he is still alive with 40% burns he will undergo alot of treatment and pain.

My thoughts are with the young men involved and both of there families M107 please pass on my best wishes .

Maybe a seperated thread once the reasons as to what happened have been estabilshed would be a good idea.