Electrician training

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xanld

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone suggest some online training which would provide some formal certification for basic electrical work.

I am not looking to pursue a career as an electrician, or do any commercial work. I have good general skills and knowledge, but would like to formalise my understanding, fill in any gaps and get some sort of certification in order to do basic electrical work at home.

I am time-poor, so hope to find something where I can fast-track through a lot of the basics which I hope I already know, but which provides me with the confidence and recognition to undertake basic tasks safely and competently.

There are lots of options online, such as this: https://johnacademy.co.uk/course/online-electrician-course/. But I aware that some courses may be more bonafide than others.

Any advice on which training and qualification is worthwhile and legitimate is very welcome.

Hi

Can anyone suggest some online training which would provide some formal certification for basic electrical work.

I am not looking to pursue a career as an electrician, or do any commercial work. I have good general skills and knowledge, but would like to formalise my understanding, fill in any gaps and get some sort of certification in order to do basic electrical work at home.

I am time-poor, so hope to find something where I can fast-track through a lot of the basics which I hope I already know, but which provides me with the confidence and recognition to undertake basic tasks safely and competently.

There are lots of options online, such as this: https://johnacademy.co.uk/course/online-electrician-course/. But I aware that some courses may be more bonafide than others.

Any advice on which training and qualification is worthwhile and legitimate is very welcome.
There's a lot of discussion about online courses in previous threads on here.

I used to think I was quite competent at electrical work having a time served electro mechanical apprenticeship, until I retrained and realised how much I didn't know. The theory was fine, it's the actual installation practices I didn't really have a scooby about, and that is difficult to learn from courses.

Hi

The difficulty here is the word "basics"?

Lots of people, (especially builders, kitchen fitters, DIY'ers etc), often think the basics are what cable do I buy for lights or sockets and which wire do I put into which terminal to make it work?

Any form of certification relating to any level of electrical competence will be done with reference to BS7671 wiring regulations.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Requiremen...ulations-Eighteenth/dp/1839532181/ref=sr_1_2?

If you buy or loan a copy, you will find Part 1, "Scope Objectives & Fundamental Principles", covers what most electrically trained persons would call "the basics".

Which are things like:-
designing your electrical alteration to protect people, property & livestock from the various dangers associated with electrical wiring;
Shock currents, Excessive temperatures, Ignition sources, Undervoltage/Overvoltage, Mechanical movement, Supply interruptions, Arcing burning etc. etc.

Or the ability to design, construct, test & certify any electrical alteration to fail-safe, by selecting appropriate cables, protective devices, accessories for the expected load and the environment that the electrical alteration will be installed and used in.

There are loads of on-courses that just cover wiring regulations & updates. But they often don't cover much of the actual calculation science theory, or practical installation work.. Just give a head knowledge of the regs...
Bit like just doing the driving test theory exam and skipping the practical test.

Personally I consider on-line courses more suited to persons who are already electrically qualified, working in the trade, but need to update their personal qualification levels due to new issues and amendments of the wiring regulations. (As BS7671 is frequently updated!!!!).
🍺

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again) OP stopped posting 10/2022

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts