Energy saving light lamps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markiemarque

Reaction score
Hi,

Interesting item on energy saving lamps on Radio 4 (more or less http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/homepage/int/pr/eco_lightbulbs_more_less_11dec09/h1/-/news/1/hi/magazine/8406923.stm).

General points:

• To find energy efficient equivalent worst case divide GLS wattage by 3 eg. 60W = 20W
  • Efficiency of energy efficient bulb compared to GLS is 70% not 80%
  • Halogen/Tungsten lamps are 30% more efficient than GLS
  • Next few year LED's will be the way to go
    Worth a listen anyway ... even if you only want to check the veracity of my facts.
    :D

Thank you for the link Markiemarque, I also heard that program, the basic allegation is that some of the manufactures claims are a little stretched. CFL's are energy efficient, but in many cases not quite as much as you are lead to believe.

Doc H.

i have recently bought and installed some Robus dimmable LED downlights that are 10W and seem just as bright as 50W halogens to me, very nice lights if a little pricey. one nice thing is they came with a 10 year parts and labour guarantee where they come out and change anything that breaks for you :)

the rooms not finished but i am happy to grab a pic of the lights if anyone is interested in the output :)

Found some company yesterday that sell all kinds of led lamp replacements. G4 capsules, MR16 and the G10's were even dimmable.

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk.

Not sure the G10's or MR16's are suitable in fire resistant enclosures though.

Ian.

Just thought I'd post this.

I used Collingwood LED's, which are more or less the same ones you can pick up in Senate electrical wholesalers. Tried the Robus in comparison and the collingwoods came out on top in terms of lighting output.

i've not seen the collingwood ones, which ones are they? i'll go grab a pic of the robus quick......

right, just taken a few pics:-

full brightness

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

minimum brightness

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

light closeup

IMG_0027.jpg

video of dimming action

the video goes on for a bit with nothing happening, thats me trying to get to grips with an iPhone Blushing but anyway, personally i like the softstart, so far the missus isn't so convinced but its too late now :D

that wall is where the head of the bed is going, check out all those switches!! i'm having a wall light on either side of the bed and from every position you switch every light and the dimmers are 2-way and intemediate aswell :)

We just bought some LED Christmas lights. Seem good and bright and claim to use 8W!
Brill for this application where lots on small but intense lights are required, not so convinced for general household lighting because of the colour rendition

These types were used in the ceilings.

The Robus is one single 10Watt led, while the collingwoods are 3 leds running at a total of 8Watts. The Robus does come with a detachable lens which makes the light warmer.

The collingwoods were cheaper as well If I remember correctly.

i don't personally like the styling of those for a domestic installation, i don't like the 3 seperate lights. but yeah the robus aren't cheap, they came out around

forgot to say, those pictures are with the soft white filters in the lights rather than the clear lenses so they do go brighter/whiter.