Estate Agents

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pewter

Conspiracy Theorist™
Reaction score
My neighbor is moving and due to exchange contracts this week. Estate agent contacts them to say the buyer  now wants an 'Electrical certificate'  (asking for one months ago when they agreed on the sale would be too easy).

I have a look, 2 boards (one in the extension) 14 circuits, i estimated a day might be needed and said it would be £200-250.

Estate agent told them they can get it done for £150,  (even though no one has looked/ asked about the install). I said i cant match that but if it turns out to be lies give me a shout.

Estate agents are amazing at pricing an EICR without even looking or asking questions.

They rung the estate agent who confirmed its a flat fee of £150.

What idiot charges the same for a 5 bed house with 2 consumer units as a 1 bed flat with 3 circuits.

My neighbour can understand why it should not be a flat fee, but is happy to have a rubbish report as they are selling not buying. They said if they was buying they would want me to do it.

I look forward to seeing the report, I wonder how long it will take.

Last edited by a moderator:
They rung the estate agent who confirmed its a flat fee of £150.

What idiot charges the same for a 5 bed house with 2 consumer units as a 1 bed flat with 3 circuits.

My neighbour can understand why it should not be a flat fee, but is happy to have a rubbish report as they are selling not buying. They said if they was buying they would want me to do it.

I look forward to seeing the report, I wonder how long it will take.
I will start the book then

12 minutes....excludes a brew. And has no more than 30 LIMs on it

One house I look after has 8-10 consumer units and 5 ilight units,

I might book them to do a £150 EICR.

The report got done this week which delayed the contract exchange due to the last min request for an Electrical certificate. 

I was told it took guy around 2 hours, who did it on an ipad and completed the certificate and emailed it within that time.

4 bedroom house, 2 consumer units (one accessed by going outside into garage extension for rooms above and loft) aprox 7 circuits on each consumer unit. 2 bathrooms, loft room, large % of down lights in property.  All tested, certificate completed and emailed in around 2 hours !!!.

Thats around 10mins to test each circuit and 10 mins for each consumer unit  including completing the certificate. In a house they have never been to before.  

nice work if you can do 3-4 a day at £150 each. I can only dream of being that quick.

In this area its the buyer who gets the inspection and test done and pays and not the seller.

Recently I'm finding a lot of buyers don't bother and claim the surveyor never requested it.

The buyer then goes back to seller saying what needs doing and they negotiate, seems to work that way.

What happened in this case was,

-sale was agreed 4-6 weeks ago, 

-4 days before they was due to exchange contracts the buyer then requested the seller gets the 'electrical certificate'

-Estate agent said they have a guy who does it flat fee £150

-EICR was done 10 days later delaying the exchange a week.

The boxes have now been ticked. :slap

Last edited by a moderator:
so the buyers solicitor just asked for an "electrical certificate" not necessarily one that says "satisfactory" :C   :shakehead   

Latest posts