G99 not applied for but system already fitted.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lydanial

Reaction score
A while ago I was getting quotes for solar for 14 420w panels, 5kw inverter givenergy inverter and 9.5kw givenergy battery.

I settled for a local company with msc, hies and who said they'd sort all my paperwork etc. To be honest all the quotes had the companys sorting out my g99.
I knew I needed a g99 for my installation and they said it was fine that they'd applied but I'd need to pay that fee when it came back and that they could get on with the work.

Anyway, I had all the work done and paid bank transfer straight away and sat back looking at my pretty app and watching my battery fill up.

2 weeks later I received a g98... I have questioned them about this and they said that they did that one first as it's quicker and means I can start getting paid for export.. Ok I thought.

Anyway, it's now been about 6 weeks since my install and I've chased them a couple times to which they say they're chasing them up but then I hear nothing again. They have stated that my inverter (a hybrid) is actually running at 5kw and not limited to 3.6kw... Although I don't know how to tell? Is there a way of finding out?

This evening whilst browsing forums I read that the g99 should be applied for and approved BEFORE any installation takes place (of the size I wanted) and that I should have signed documentation for the solar company to act on my behalf with paperwork and then they get in touch with me ask about my electrical supply/usage/other generation etc...along with sending some pictures of fuse box and various other things.
I've had nothing and so now think that this has never been applied for leaving me rather worried as to what happens next.

So also...

Are they liable in some way?
Is it their responsibility or mine to have the g99 in place before work?
Should they fit a system without doing this first?
As they are accredited I assumed they'd follow correct procedure...

A while ago I was getting quotes for solar for 14 420w panels, 5kw inverter givenergy inverter and 9.5kw givenergy battery.

I settled for a local company with msc, hies and who said they'd sort all my paperwork etc. To be honest all the quotes had the companys sorting out my g99.
I knew I needed a g99 for my installation and they said it was fine that they'd applied but I'd need to pay that fee when it came back and that they could get on with the work.

Anyway, I had all the work done and paid bank transfer straight away and sat back looking at my pretty app and watching my battery fill up.

2 weeks later I received a g98... I have questioned them about this and they said that they did that one first as it's quicker and means I can start getting paid for export.. Ok I thought.

Anyway, it's now been about 6 weeks since my install and I've chased them a couple times to which they say they're chasing them up but then I hear nothing again. They have stated that my inverter (a hybrid) is actually running at 5kw and not limited to 3.6kw... Although I don't know how to tell? Is there a way of finding out?

This evening whilst browsing forums I read that the g99 should be applied for and approved BEFORE any installation takes place (of the size I wanted) and that I should have signed documentation for the solar company to act on my behalf with paperwork and then they get in touch with me ask about my electrical supply/usage/other generation etc...along with sending some pictures of fuse box and various other things.
I've had nothing and so now think that this has never been applied for leaving me rather worried as to what happens next.

So also...

Are they liable in some way?
Is it their responsibility or mine to have the g99 in place before work?
Should they fit a system without doing this first?
As they are accredited I assumed they'd follow correct procedure...
Complain to MCS if they are not being responsive. It is definetly not a G98 system, they are cheating for convenience.