Ethernet connection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seajayess

Reaction score
Hi I have been asked to install some Ethernet connection point while doing a house rewire. Want to know do you have to run each connection point back to where the broadband connection is or can i wire the points in series thanks CJS

Hi I have been asked to install some Ethernet connection point while doing a house rewire. Want to know do you have to run each connection point back to where the broadband connection is or can i wire the points in series thanks CJS
It will be all back to a central location (assuming 10*BaseT).

it is a lot easer to trouble shoot, but does use slightly more cable but worth it in the long run

bob

It will be all back to a central location (assuming 10*BaseT).
I'd agree, although you could use 4 port switches to reduce runs, it's best to have singles all the way back, and in any rooms that might need more the one port, do so, I wish I had when I installed CAT5 though out my house 12 years ago

Location is key, under the stairs is a good place to terminate all the cables into an 8 port switch (your BB could connect to this), if the broadband is not there move the phone line there too, much for the same reasons that CU's are located there (in my setup I have my 1TB NAS located there too)

Use CAT5e cable as this will support Gigabit, and if you install any router/switches go for Gigabit (10/100/1000) models, it will give the customer the bandwidth potential for HD etc should the need arise in the future (the best reason for runs all the way back)

If you need advice on setting this up just ask

Agreed with robo, i cat5 cabled opuyr house here and found it very useful, our equipment is in the open loft space, dormer bungalow ;) so used the loft for all our cable routes and installed the cctv on the network as well.

I'd agree, although you could use 4 port switches to reduce runs, it's best to have singles all the way back, and in any rooms that might need more the one port, do so, I wish I had when I installed CAT5 though out my house 12 years ago
Agggrrr. I would never suggest doing that as the utp can not then be used for other services (and raises the possibility of someone creating a loop and a packet storm).

Ian.

Agggrrr. I would never suggest doing that as the utp can not then be used for other services (and raises the possibility of someone creating a loop and a packet storm).Ian.
I need to know what a packet storm is, please?

Sounds fun :D

I need to know what a packet storm is, please?Sounds fun :D
Not at all. When you create a loop on a switched network without spanning tree (as these small unmanaged hubs/switches don't tend to do stp), then you end up forwarding the same packet around the network until its TTL expires. That happens with every packet so your network throughput goes down to about .1% if you are lucky depending on the number of hosts on the network.

Very not nice.

Not at all. When you create a loop on a switched network without spanning tree (as these small unmanaged hubs/switches don't tend to do stp), then you end up forwarding the same packet around the network until its TTL expires. That happens with every packet so your network throughput goes down to about .1% if you are lucky depending on the number of hosts on the network.Very not nice.
oh dear

:|

about as exciting as conduit nipples then :(

Agggrrr. I would never suggest doing that as the utp can not then be used for other services (and raises the possibility of someone creating a loop and a packet storm).Ian.
Neither would I use that method (unless I realised 10 years on that more than 1 port per room would handy :( )

Although you comments are indeed true, I'd not expect that level of traffic in a typical domestic set up to get to that point, well that is until every room is streaming HD simultainiously perhaps

So we agree, do it right singles all the way back to the hub then ;)

or take 2 cables from each room and fit dual module faceplates, endless scope there.

Thanks for the relies guy's, I take it that if I route the cables back to a Broadband connection that has Ethernet connectors, I could just plug them into it as long as it has enough ways CJS

yeah thats it, the setups i worked on had a big unit (bit like a three phase 54 way consumer in size). of the pairs from each room coming in one went into the router and the others either went to ipod connections of video streaming setups, its fab what you can do for little money really, dont know if cat5 is been fazed out now abit nowadays in favour of cat6 the its a bit thicker and harder to work with.

yeah thats it, the setups i worked on had a big unit (bit like a three phase 54 way consumer in size). of the pairs from each room coming in one went into the router and the others either went to ipod connections of video streaming setups, its fab what you can do for little money really, dont know if cat5 is been fazed out now abit nowadays in favour of cat6 the its a bit thicker and harder to work with.
CAT5e can handle Gigabit, however I'm using Gigabit over 12 year old CAT5 with no obvious problems

cat 5 will be fine,

we are now using cat 6 mostly,

tho for domestic cant see why 5e wouldnt do, it will be more than good enough for almost anything,

Deke told me all this so it must be true.

AFAIK one of the key differences between CAT5e (don't forget the 'e' p.s. thanks Ianmacd) & CAT6 is that CAT6 has higher specification to prevent crosstalk & system noise.

More appropriate to installations with large quantities of cables running together such as commercial Network distribution rooms, & long cable runs etc.. i.e. reduce induced noise from adjacent circuits.

Not particularly the typical domestic network with minimal number of data cables in close proximity of each other and shorter runs.

Both can carry Gigabyte speeds.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cat5 can not. Cat 5e can.
Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Quite correct...Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Dropping me 'e's again....Blushing:O

don't tell me mom she'll ground me for a week and wont let me come out and play on the forum! :(

I like to slip in these occasional deliberate mistake to make sure you are all reading proper and not skip reading! :^O :^O:^O

:coat