Ethernet connection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cat5 can not. Cat 5e can.
If I understand this, are you saying CAT5 can't carry Gigabit, trust me it can, I use Gigabit all the time, however I've never pushed enough data down the cable to test it's limits though

If I was wiring a house now, I'd of course use CAT5e

If I understand this, are you saying CAT5 can't carry Gigabit, trust me it can, I use Gigabit all the time, however I've never pushed enough data down the cable to test it's limits thoughIf I was wiring a house now, I'd of course use CAT5e
Thats just the manufactures specification...

Like the old RS232 serial cable (e.g. PC to old external Modem type connection) 9pin or 25pin D-type jobbie..

the specification used to say up to 30m Max length..

But at our old company we have had them running 100m length..

thats in the days when typical speeds were 2400bps, 4800bps & 9600bps was FAST!!!!

:eek: :|

Thats just the manufactures specification...Like the old RS232 serial cable (e.g. PC to old external Modem type connection) 9pin or 25pin D-type jobbie..

the specification used to say up to 30m Max length..

But at our old company we have had them running 100m length..

thats in the days when typical speeds were 2400bps, 4800bps & 9600bps was FAST!!!!

:eek: :|
havent you seen my internet speedtest then!!!!!!!

ah sorry missed a few digits! im getting 7Mbs or 7,000,000bps! (privided im on the same wavelength as everyone else!) yeah as they all say that was back in the day of the old school data transmission speeds, were all generally getting at least 1Mb/s (isp providing!)

steps: essentially using my figures for example my 7Mb (Megabits) connection works out at roughly 0.7MB/s so nearly a megabyte a second of data. i for a while assumed that an 8 meg connection from bt meant 8 megabytes a second (bit like a long guns n roses track), till the penny dropped and it meant 8 megabits. so a 20megabit connection from virgin is around about 2megabytes a second, i firmly believe that these isp' s knew that joe public assumed these figures to be megabytes thus making it sound better.

a while back now i actually spoke to a sales adviser at virgin where i said "a 20megaBYTE connection sounds fantastic!" to which they replied yes it is....so eaither they didnt know what they were selling or they were on the blag!

Remember the Cat5e can be used for other things too (all through the standard data connection) cctv links, telephone, hdmi, audio, vga, component signals etc. Put double the amount in that you think you will need!

If they are running wireless for laptops, add 2 (or more) in a position upstairs where they can position their router. Patch up to it with one socket, then back out with other down to a switch in "ground zero" for distributing to rest of house. Have you seen the cheap 12 port patch panels at screwfix that dont need a cabinet? http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87654/Electrical-Supplies/Data-Networking/Data-Routing/12-Port-Patch-Panel these are pretty good if on a budget.

Even if they ask for 1 point, at least pull in 2 cables to it. If they want 2, put a 4 point in and 2 sockets with 2 blanks, put 4 cables in there!!

I regret only 3 points in my office!

I can do a diagram of my house if it will give you some ideas.

10000BaseT devices do exist and are used in network cores but you will need lots of spare cash to get one.