Ev Or Normal Cars?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry He

Reaction score
The appearance of EV has reduced the customers of normal cars. What is your opinion to the future of the normal cars. Are they going to be replaced by EV totally in the future?

Never as a main car when you might have to make long journeys.

Perhaps as a second car for local use, knowing you have the other car for long trips.

I like that new fangled internal combustion thingie,

dunno if it will ever completely get rid of the horse [or steam] though, but I deffo think its an idea of sorts,  :)

The appearance of EV has reduced the customers of normal cars. What is your opinion to the future of the normal cars. Are they going to be replaced by EV totally in the future?

Hmmmm.....

I doubt that electric vehicles have actually reduced the customers of petrol/diesel cars....

I would guess that electric vehicles are more likely a "SECOND" (or Third or more) car in a household that still has some type of combustion engine car as well!

Some electric vehicles are quite efficient...    carry heavy loads...

cover 1000's of miles per day..... 

But they are various types of Train & Tram & Tube...    which do NOT carry their power with them...

Just collect the power needed from cables or rails and run on fixed routes... 

Whereas......

Which electric car can carry a family of 7...

all their holiday gear...

(maybe tow a caravan or trailer with a tent)

Disappear off in the the remote countryside..   or travel abroad over Europe....

And still have the ability to refuel in less than 10 mins to give full maximum range...

so you can get on enjoying the rest of your holiday even if you are miles from the motorway or service station with a hook-up charging point! 

Still a LONG way off and/or prohibitively expensive I think......

:popcorn

hmm lets see. £17K for a mini sized car that charges up overnight on E7, but will realistically only do 70 miles before needing another 8 hour charge. Will depreciate like anything - and add on a monthly rental for batteries of £70 or more.

The only time it would be remotely worthwhile would be to avoid london congestion charge - not sure how much it is but I think it must be about £40/week and as long as its only a daily commute you can safley get to work and back.

Do they have heaters and how do they work?

I have a diesel that costs £130pa to tax, does 68mpg on a run and is 3 years old and cost a third of what an electric would cost. So for me no a bad idea which the world isnt quite resdy for yet. Now if I had lots of PV and my own hydrogen plant.........

I'll install a solar car-port for you :slap

it has to be said, it isn't new technology, remember all the electric milk floats??? In my view it's the easiest technology, but far from the best. We effectively already have most of the infrastruture to support it. To change to something like hydrogen fuel cells would need so much infrastruture work only a government could make it happen, and you know what happens to big government projects.... :facepalm:   Unless battery technolgy takes a major step forward, then it will never really be viable unless petrol prices go through the roof, which is only a matter of time, think dwindling resource + increasing demand = big price :( :(

Its a bit like not spending money on maintaining flood defences, which resulted in the rail link to Devon and Cornwall being cut off at Somerset for several months this year, at a cost of £millions in lost business for the SW region. 20 years of neglecting the Somerset levels resulted in a major financial loss. Politicians are just so short-sighted.

There was some AA statistics a few months back about the number of 1year old second-hand electric cars that were on the UK market...

it was really high compared to traditional petrol & diesel cars....

apparently people don't normally sell a new vehicle that is only 1 year old....

Maybe it suggests people have tried them and don't like them ?????

If you have enough spare dosh..

I think they could be a very good second car for short run-around trips...

e.g.

I am thinking of when my kids were all younger....

loads of short trips several times a week to..

Guides / swimming / music lessons / friends / football / school & college activities..  etc... etc...

no more than 5 mile round trip!!

Electric would eat this up easy!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: