Extending the strappers.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L-E_Fault

Reaction score
I need to move a light, to do so I need to extend the strappers. So I'm going to slide some 3 core T&E down the existing capping for the switch cable.

But I need a permanent joint that I can plaster over, what do I need to use??

Tim

I've never done any heat shrinking I take it you need a heat gun, which I don't have. Is that the only option as I don't really want to buy a tool that I only use for 1 switch.

insulated through crimps with some insulation tape around. Don't quote me on that, but i dont think you have to heat shrink them.

insulated through crimps with some insulation tape around. Don't quote me on that, but i dont think you have to heat shrink them.
You dont have to but it looks more professional and the heat shrink makes a stronger joint

I've never done any heat shrinking I take it you need a heat gun, which I don't have. Is that the only option as I don't really want to buy a tool that I only use for 1 switch.
Heat gun not that pricey http://www.screwfix.com/prods/78602/Power-Tools/Heat-Guns/Titan-SF2000XP-2000W-Heat-Gun-230V

If careful a blow torch can be used on heat shrink if you hold the flame well away from it. Never tried but a hair dryer may work to

How about a longer piece of cable and replace the whole section????
It runs under the floor not sure where it goes the switch in question is on the landing. If I go down that route it would be a much bigger job.

you can use a blow torch with low flame for heatshrink. crimp & heatshrink is the way to go. failing that, crimp, lots of tape, scotch 23 tape and maybe a bit more tape over that.

Why? a bit bulky for buring in plaster
yes bulky but the best main-free jb in my opinion, good strain relief, solid connection, only one thing to purchase, as the wall is being plastered shudnt be hard to chop a hole big enough.

I just dont trust crimps in this application like i trust one of these boxes.

So, are you going to end up with cables under the plaster, but no accessory on the wall to mark the cable zone?? Oh dear, that would be bad.

Crimping is the way to go. If you're removing the accessory then pull the cable out of the wall, make your joint and then push the joint into the ceiling/floor gap above and then repair the plasterwork.

I should consult a local self employed sparks - you can do most of the work and just get him to do the jointing for cash.