Failed D.E.I.P.I.R. (for a single dwelling)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. SLim

Reaction score
Hello all,

my Domestic Electrical Installation Periodic Inspection Report (for a single dwelling) failed due to the following urgent remedial work being needed:

1. Upgrade to CCU to 17 Edition of the British Standard.

2. Investigate and amend the high Zs reading in one of the sockets in the living room(right hand corner).

3. Investigate and amend the high Zs reading in the socket on the landing.

4. Investigate and amend the high Zs reading in the single socket in the main bedroom (near the T.V.)

5. Replace the broken single socket in the main bedroom.

6. Investigate and identify circuit 5 (unknown).

The work, now complete, took 1 man, 1 day and cost

my Domestic Electrical Installation Periodic Inspection Report (for a single dwelling) failed due to the following urgent remedial work being needed:1. Upgrade to CCU to 17 Edition of the British Standard.
Comment 1, is a recommendation of someones opinion about doing some alteration work. It is not an observation on the existing fuse box. As there is no legal obligation to have to upgrade every UK property to the latest standards whenever they change, unless there was a serious danger with the old fuse box, I cannot see how this could warrant an unsatisfactory. PIR's do not have pass or fail! just satisfactory or unsatisfactory. Would probably need a bit more detail about the other items to comment on their urgency level. On the face of the information given this cost sounds expensive to me.

Doc H.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:19 ----------

Welcome to the forum Mr Slim.

Doc H.

hi Mr slim and welcome,

did he quote for the extras before carrying out the work, or just do the work and bill at the end hence you had no chance to query before and just had to pay.

i would say its quite high but the fault finding could have took alot longer if it wasnt a straight forward reason for the high readings. if i had a high reading while carrying out the PIR i would have done a little investigating (loose terminal ect) and if still no good would have explained to you before that could take 30mins but also could take alot longer so would give you the choice before.

also just noticed your in central london, im not from around there so not 100% sure how much the average price would be for CU upgrade ect but am sure it would be alot dearer than where im from (lincoln) so the price he charged would be B) expensive but only by a little due to your location, obviously other members from that way on would be a better judge.

Wayne

yes that the price for London, and boarders of London/kent.... some people charge a lot more... For a CU change

Without knowing where you are exactly the cost while extortionate for my area could be the going rate for where you live..

For instance I was talking to a guy the other weekend who renovates houses & flats in London, his call out is

Mr SLim,

I would say other.

Whilst London prices are higher, perhaps not that high HOWEVER, I don't feel that I can comment on the exact cost as I don't know the work that was involved.

The PIR I feel could be on the cheap side and then the remedials loaded?

Can you please give us some more information?

What was your old fuse box?

Did it have fuses or circuit breakers?

How many did it have?

What has been fitted, make number of breakers, rcd's etc. or does it have rcbo's?

Have you had full certifications for all the works?

Why only 3 years on the property, domestics can easily be 10 years.

What sort of property is it?

Did the main "earthing and bonding" need updating at the same time the consumer unit was changed?

Did the contractor arrange for an isolator to be fitted by the electricity supplier at the same time?

if he is legit and pulling a grand a day then he would have to be vat reg, corect me if i am wrong, unless he works something like 1 day a week which may well be the case, grand a week

Could have done that cheaper even driving up from Plymouth!!

Unknown circuits - I usually look around, and if I can't find anything, disconnect at CU. If subsequently the occupier notices something no longer works, then it's easy to re-connect. Not unusual to have circuits like this in older property - usually old immersion circuits where central heating has been installed, but hate leaving stuff like this energised, especially since I got a belt off the metal frame of a bath a while ago linked to old water heater circuit.

It is like to make an estimate without knowing the actual job. Single dwelling could be two bedrooms, could be four... CU - how many ways: 6, 10, 12. RCD or RCBOs... CU could cost