Fan and fan controller wiring help please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIX

Reaction score
Hi all,

Need a little help wiring this up as im no electrician and dont want to blow the family up or burn the house down.

I got this controller

3 AMP Fan Speed Controller | eBay UK

and this fan

VK PRO FAN 250 (10") | eBay UK

A bit better description

VK IN LINE EXTRACTOR FAN | Buy Hydroponics

1st question is will these 2 run together ok,

2nd is my fan has no earth but controller wants a earth?what do I do?

Goint to give you details on them,

Fan

176 w 230v 50z (plug fuse is 3 amp)

Controller is 3amp 230v ac 1ph 50/60hz current range 0.3-3.0A fuse F5 A

Im pretty sure I done amp to watt calculation before I bought controller and it was above what I needed.

Heres some wiring I dont understand

Connection diagram L N L2 N L1 with 2 other boxes with like a upside down T with = the bottom line of the = being a bit smaller (sorry if this is crap description.

ok

L mains LIVE connection

N Mains NEUTRAL connection

L2 Unregulated 230v output (or switch live to eg,damper)

N motor NEUTRAL

L1 Regulated out put to motor

Now them up side down T with = under are bo0t Earth

Now theres a jumper too 0" and D" O version the motor starts according to the potentiometre and D-version the motor wil always start or restart at the highest speed nfor about 6-7 secs and the descend.

Ok last thing,the minimum speed is 100v they recommend a minimum of 70v,

Sorry if I come across dumb but I sort of know what to do but want to be 100%,I understand the jumper and potentiometre but need to know which is safest for the fan im using.

I also need to know which wires go where, starting from my fans neg and posative (no neutral) if you could please.

Im basicly trying to run the fan quieter and there for trying to slow it down..

Dont know what else to say except sorry if question seems stupid but id rather be safe then sorry when it comes to these things..

If you could tell me which wires go in where id appreciate it as its mainly the connection diagram I dont understand..

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:59 ----------

Forgot to add, 230v 176 watt fan equals 0.7652 amp and the controllers recommended minimum is 70v does this mean I should make sure the potentiometre/adjuster is not at minimum before I plug it all up?

If my fans plug is 3amp and controller is f5 A fuse, are they ok to be wired up?

Theres a small fuse in the controller its self I dunno if that is the F5 A fuse but I need to know what amp fuse will need to go in the plug of the controller,Im basicly thinking chop the wire to my fan in half but then theres the problem with the fan not using a earth and the controller requesting a earth,im sure I can add a earth to fan but not sure if the controller has to have one.

Ok firstly, in my limited experience with installing fans with controllers, I fit fans that have matching controllers so there is no confusion and all instructions correspond.

Your problem seems to be the fan, does it say it is able to be controlled with a speed controller? Usually, as you say with your connections L1 is a perm to the fan, and L2 is a variable feed, as far as I'm concerned I follow the instructions that come from Vent Axia, and match the L1+L2 to the L1+L2 in the fan and it works as it should. It sounds like your Fan doesnt have the second live connection it needs to be variable.

More importantly if your here asking how not to burn the house down you shouldn't be attempting this, especially when the upside down T sounds like your talking about the earth connection. Best to get someone in who knows what they are doing. Theres 100 and 1 reasons why this may be dangerous or even the circuit you are connecting this into may be dangerous.

Is this gentleman wanting help with some cannabis cultivation? :|
:D

I know a man that can.

:D

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:34 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:34 ----------

is it a full scale job or simply a drobe.?

dont forget if you slow the fan down, it wont have as much airflow, and in certain cases, you may aswell just fit an isolator and leave it turned off

Latest posts