Fan Motor Starter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arturs1

Reaction score
Hi All,

I need to add a fan motor starter to an existing pump motor control circuit.

The pump motor has a soft starter and a contactor with start, stop and emergency stop buttons. Under normal conditions, two fan motors need to start when the pump motor starts and switch off after the the pump motor has cooled to the required level.

What is the best way to tie into the existing control circuit?

Attachments

• pump motor control circuit.jpg
    pump motor control circuit.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi All,

I need to add a fan motor starter to an existing pump motor control circuit.

The pump motor has a soft starter and a contactor with start, stop and emergency stop buttons. Under normal conditions, two fan motors need to start when the pump motor starts and switch off after the the pump motor has cooled to the required level.

What is the best way to tie into the existing control circuit?
I would put another relay in parallel with relay CR. This relay will be energised when the pump is running. I would then add the temperature controller into the circuit for controlling the fans. The new relay is effectively the start button for the fan contactor, the temperature controller is the stop button.

I would put another relay in parallel with relay CR. This relay will be energised when the pump is running. I would then add the temperature controller into the circuit for controlling the fans. The new relay is effectively the start button for the fan contactor, the temperature controller is the stop button.
or get someone that knows what they are doing, not saying that john does not know how to do this I am sure he does, but if the OP has to ask how to do such a simple job, I have to question his competence to complete such a job safely.

or get someone that knows what they are doing, not saying that john does not know how to do this I am sure he does, but if the OP has to ask how to do such a simple job, I have to question his competence to complete such a job safely.
I agree but I was just answering the question he asked.

and next week there will be something in the new about a building that got blown up / burnt down / industrial accident etc on a site that had recently upgraded their fans

and next week there will be something in the new about a building that got blown up / burnt down / industrial accident etc on a site that had recently upgraded their fans
I bet you're the life and soul at any party.

So how would this guy modifying a control system to run some fans "create a building that got blown up / burnt down / industrial accident" ? I'd really like to hear your alarmist theory on this.

The guy has a clear understanding of the control system and what he wants to achieve. I'm sure that given the right information he will assess whether to employ a sparkie or not.

Thank you!

Private message me to avoid the alarmists getting sleepless nights worrying over the end of the world.
that is quite a large pump (320A MCB), do you think this is a DIY job?
I would be worrying over how the fans are fixed and to what they are fixed too , where the temp sender is mounted , how much air flow does the pump need

there's quite a few electricians who don't normlly work with this sort of gear, like me! Now I can work out these things, it just takes time and a bit of research simply because I havn't worked in factories for so long. Having a forum like this just means I could ask a question to get a quicker reply than looking aroundthe internet lot, or ask those, like yourself, if what I'm thinking is the best way.

there's quite a few electricians who don't normlly work with this sort of gear, like me! Now I can work out these things, it just takes time and a bit of research simply because I havn't worked in factories for so long. Having a forum like this just means I could ask a question to get a quicker reply than looking aroundthe internet lot, or ask those, like yourself, if what I'm thinking is the best way.
I agree , maybe I was a bit quick to pat him/her down,
but he did not say how he would do it, just how would we do it , there is so much to go wrong with a drive as big as the one he has

Last edited:
I agree , maybe I was a bit quick to pat him/her down,
but he did not say how he would do it, just how would we do it , there is so much to go wrong with a drive as big as the one he has
Yes there is but were not talking about changes to this pump drive at all, he's wanting to run some fans which I'm sure will be a good deal less in HP terms than the pump drive.

Yes there is but were not talking about changes to this pump drive at all, he's wanting to run some fans which I'm sure will be a good deal less in HP terms than the pump drive.
That is right. Both pumps are only 0.55kW.