Feeding Two Devices From One External Drive

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As above really. Have an external HDD stacked with films, music and photos.

For playback I feed EITHER the Samsung Blu-Ray player via USB OR the Sumvision NAS Media Player again by USB. Both players have their merits and each will occasionally handle/have a codec the other won't. Just wondered if anyones knows of the USB equivalent of a "Y" splitter so I don't have to keep changing the lead over. Cheers

Is the HDD self powered? If not you will have major issues.

Can th blu ray player not access the NAS,? Or how about router with USB,?
The HDD is self powered so no problems there. The BR player has TWO USB ports, one front & one back (it's a Samsung BD-1600P btw) but pretty sure I can only use one port at a time. Seem to remember at the time I bought it you could buy a Samsung specific USB wireless dongle..............not sure if another make would work tbh.............going to try the no name one that came with the Sumvision media player now. Cheers.

...............AND the no name wireless dongle DOESN'T work! Guess I could run a Cat-5 cable to the router if necessary.

BT Home Hub 3 will accept the HDD direct via USB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plugging the HDD into the router should make it available to everything on the network,

I should have thought, you just need to get the BR on the network then.

Plugging the HDD into the router should make it available to everything on the network,

I should have thought, you just need to get the BR on the network then.
Looking like it'll be hard wired then between router & Blu-ray. The Samsung specific dongle is just short of £50!!!

Last edited by a moderator: