First Day Nerves.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Pashley

Reaction score
Got a bit of work starting tomorrow as a electricians mate, i have some experience from working with people i know who have given me the odd couple of days etc. Just on edge about not being good enough! is this normal or am i just over reacting?

Any first day hints & tips are quiet welcomed!

No one will expect too much from you on your first day, just that you are pleasant and seem interested in the job.

Just be yourself, everyone gets nervous and it is normal.

You have every right to be there you passed an interview!

Your talant is not in question its your ability to work with people you have never met, this takes time as you have to sort the chaff from the good and make friendships to help you through.

Your not expected to know everything or how they work as a team, just be pleasant and listen to what your told to do you will be fine.

PS Good luck

if they ask you to do something and you are not sure what they are on about ask !!!

its easier to fix it before its done than to fix it after its done

dont be too suprised if you are left alone after a week or so to get on with jobs they know you can do

Its normal Jono, even those guys you meet who pretend not to be bothered by such things, are really, just havn't got the guts to admit it.

Notice those of us on here when the annual visit from the NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA etc draws near.

Always the same, new place, new people, once there you'll be fine.

As an electrician's mate , they shouldn't expect you know everything anyway, learn as much as you can from it.

Deke

First day nerves :) dont worry about it

I made a huge mistake in my "early days" (only 23 now) no offence to the oldies!!!

company i was with was there 2 years. working on my won pretty much daily. and not on a decent wage, i actually applied for another job with a rival company, better pay etc. and nerves got the better of me. so i just gave them a call to say i wasnt going to take the job.

2 months later, the company i was with went under and the company i didnt go to was taking work left right and centre.

First day nerves :) dont worry about itI made a huge mistake in my "early days" (only 23 now) no offence to the oldies!!!

company i was with was there 2 years. working on my won pretty much daily. and not on a decent wage, i actually applied for another job with a rival company, better pay etc. and nerves got the better of me. so i just gave them a call to say i wasnt going to take the job.

2 months later, the company i was with went under and the company i didnt go to was taking work left right and centre.
Thats sods law for you, seen it far too often in this game.

Thats sods law for you, seen it far too often in this game.
Still regretting the mistake 3 years on as well but ya never learn. well i don't, i was too loyal to the company that went under... he probably knew at the time too

No one will expect too much from you on your first day, just that you are pleasant and seem interested in the job.
And make sure you get everyone's tea and coffee requirements right:^O:^O

Good luck

Been a decent day, first fixing a conversion from shop to flats. Hopefully about 2 months work. Should prove interesting! Learnt loads.

Been a decent day, first fixing a conversion from shop to flats. Hopefully about 2 months work. Should prove interesting! Learnt loads.
Excellent !! Hope you enjoyed it and it's another days experience under your belt . I was nervous the first time as a mate but soon realised that most electricians are only to happy to help you along if you show that you are willing to learn and show an interest , and get the beers in !!! Guiness Drink

Excellent !! Hope you enjoyed it and it's another days experience under your belt . I was nervous the first time as a mate but soon realised that most electricians are only to happy to help you along if you show that you are willing to learn and show an interest , and get the beers in !!! Guiness Drink
IMHO That is true in many trades....

People do actually enjoy sharing their skills and knowledge with some one who is interested and willing to learn...

but they get pee'd off with anyone who shows no enthusiasm for any learning, practical or theoretical.

:|