forklift charging station.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrocuted

Reaction score
Good evening boys and girls,

I am to see a job about supplying a feed to a charging station ,fed via a transformer. The problem is I have never done one of these so any help is appreciated.

the charging is via a 32A socket.

thanks Andyc that's the kind of info i was looking in term of working out Zs for the install.

Last one I fitted required a D40. Stupid sized cable in order to comply with Zs.

Best suggestion - double check your calculated cable size meets ALL the criteria - not just current carrying (likely to be the least of your concerns here!)

HTH

KME

Thanks KME , the unit next had a charger on a 40A D breaker but this one was a 3metre run, the one i need is about 35m run. anyways he has'nt decided to go ahead on price.

Just a thought ,if I used 3core SWA ,on a 40A D breaker and I used the 3rd core and the armoring to try to bring Zs to acceptable.

I will have to work it out.

Just a thought ,if I used 3core SWA ,on a 40A D breaker and I used the 3rd core and the armoring to try to bring Zs to acceptable.I will have to work it out.
:( :(

NO.. you don't want to do that,

if R! + R2 or volt drop a problem use larger phase & neutral conductors.

to a few calcs

35m of 6.0mm @ 32A drops just over 3.5% ok for no lights?

or 35m of 10.0mm @ 32A drops just over 2.1% ok or lights or power..

BUT if 40A TYPE D Zs max 0.29ohm

35m of 6.0mm T&E has R1+R2 = 0.37:_|

35m of 10.0mm T&E has R1 + R2 = 0.23:( still a bit tight?

may need 16mm IMHO? ?:|

unless others have better ideas?

A lot will depend on what loop is at begining of run, to get a loop down to

.29ohm may take some doing. I did some points for welders in a factory the longer runs had to be put on bs88 fuses as loop was to high for d breakers.

Batty

True Batty;)

perhaps BS88 & a bit of 10.0mm then ???

BS88 40A Zs 1.35, 80% 1.08ohm

1.08oh - 0.23ohm leaves 0.85ohm worth of Ze to play with? ?:| :|

or shall I go rummage the cloak room? :coat :coat:coat:coat

To be honest ,I never used bs 88 fuses,so do you have to have a separate enclosure fed from a henley bloc with a special fuse ?.any link appreciated.

THANKS guys for all the help.

Depends on make of dis board the one I did was mem so you can use mcb's as well as cartridge fuses have a look maybe you would be able to get a cartridge fuse for the board you are connecting in too.

Batty

To be honest ,I never used bs 88 fuses,so do you have to have a separate enclosure fed from a henley bloc with a special fuse ?.any link appreciated.THANKS guys for all the help.
Well I guess one of these could be used..

includes 40A fuse, single phase, isolator switch..

http://www.proteusswitchgear.co.uk/product_details.asp?product=3117

never used one myself but its a possiblity..?

Or I guess you could stuff a 40amp into a Click DB700 switch...?

http://www.emetco.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?P=1470&C=10&Count=10&RPage=Products

Only picked that link cuz it had a picture?

never used them as a supplier..

Just contact your wholesaler ask them for a price for a click DB700 Fused isolator switch.? Should be no more than