Freeview

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeysmurf

Reaction score
I currently have sky hd in the livin room and bedroom and just bought a new tele with freeview on for my spare room. I have a wire from my roof arial but it was to short so I bought some arial cable conected it up to the roof arial and ran it into my spare room but the freeview on the tele just says no signal being picked up!

any ideas...

Nothing at all?

If there is indeed nothing it all it could be anything. Is there a signal at the end of the existing drop, is the extension working properly?

If there is no signal on the drop it could be a problem with cable and\or aerial. If the aerial is not looking in good shape then FWIW I'd stick a new one up with a new cable to the new TV.

If its a new TV you may need to go into the setup menu to auto tune the channels.

If its second hand from a different transmitter you would also have to retune to your local one.

Or, the aerial could be out of line and may need adjusting.

Wet Fish I actually agree with Niceguy on his points made. :)

I currently have sky hd in the livin room and bedroom and just bought a new tele with freeview on for my spare room. I have a wire from my roof arial but it was to short so I bought some arial cable conected it up to the roof arial and ran it into my spare room but the freeview on the tele just says no signal being picked up! any ideas...
I have the same problem with freeview and its not due to any issues with cables, antenna's, not tuned in (as I get theat when tuning) but that my local transmitter isn't relaying digital at this time (only analogue). You may also want to check that out too.

you should get some sort of signal even without an aerial, just the cable. not saying it'kk be any good but you should at least get a really really bad signal from just cable. something doesn't sound right.

you should get some sort of signal even without an aerial, just the cable. not saying it'kk be any good but you should at least get a really really bad signal from just cable. something doesn't sound right.
Depends where you are. I get nothing without an aerial.

It is very rare that you could get a signal without an aerial with analogue, however, this would not be the case with digital.

You could have a badly tuned aerial that would pick up a reasonable signal with a viewable picture but would not tune a digital channel at all.

I have the same problem with freeview and its not due to any issues with cables, antenna's, not tuned in (as I get theat when tuning) but that my local transmitter isn't relaying digital at this time (only analogue). You may also want to check that out too.
Liverpool which is in the Granada region had analogue turned off the end off last year.

Could be that whilst could pick up an analogue signal ok, for digital if the aerial is not pointing correctly to transmitter then you will not get a signal

Latest posts