Trying to fix non working lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeDG

Reaction score
Hi,
So recently my landlord had had some work done to the roof and to the bathroom ceiling. I have no idea what happened since I had to move out temporarely and now the only lights that work are the ones in the bathroom and the hallway, so I'm guessing some wires were left out or wired wrong.

Now I'm trying to fix it myself since every time I try to get someone to have a look he straight up refuses saying I'm not allowed to have any work done on the house without his consent and that he'll find someone. The only person he found never came back and broke 2 of the light fixtures. It's been 7 months...

So, the layout of the house is as follows: there's a small hallway (even you can even call it that) upstairs, the bathroom on the left, a bedroom in front, next to it and on the right another bedroom. The guy who came said that the house is wired the "old fashioned way", he said that the power goes from the bathroom to the next room and then the next, like in a daisy chain. The bathroom light works and so does the one in the hallway (even though theres a light switch downstairs and upstairs, so might not be getting power from upstairs). I've tested the light switch from the room next to the bathroom and it's dead, no power at all.

Has anyone ever encountered such wiring? I didn't go in the attic yet but will do soon, just want to make sure someone has a clue and I can provide screenshots and info while I try and fix it. BTW, I do have some DYI electrical knowledge, but mostly on cars.

Thanks.

Yeah.. wish it was that simple. The rent is really cheap compared to all the others houses on the market and last time I asked him when he's fixing the lights he told me to give him a notice if I'm not happy and to move out. Really can't afford a move now, especially with 2 elderly parents so I'd rather give it a try and fix this myself.

Hi,
So recently my landlord had had some work done to the roof and to the bathroom ceiling. I have no idea what happened since I had to move out temporarely and now the only lights that work are the ones in the bathroom and the hallway, so I'm guessing some wires were left out or wired wrong.

Now I'm trying to fix it myself since every time I try to get someone to have a look he straight up refuses saying I'm not allowed to have any work done on the house without his consent and that he'll find someone. The only person he found never came back and broke 2 of the light fixtures. It's been 7 months...

So, the layout of the house is as follows: there's a small hallway (even you can even call it that) upstairs, the bathroom on the left, a bedroom in front, next to it and on the right another bedroom. The guy who came said that the house is wired the "old fashioned way", he said that the power goes from the bathroom to the next room and then the next, like in a daisy chain. The bathroom light works and so does the one in the hallway (even though theres a light switch downstairs and upstairs, so might not be getting power from upstairs). I've tested the light switch from the room next to the bathroom and it's dead, no power at all.

Has anyone ever encountered such wiring? I didn't go in the attic yet but will do soon, just want to make sure someone has a clue and I can provide screenshots and info while I try and fix it. BTW, I do have some DYI electrical knowledge, but mostly on cars.

Thanks.

[1] There is no such thing as "Old fashioned way" to wire anything...

[2] Different electricians may have different ways they prefer to wire a lighting circuit..

[3] Different property structure and layout may define one way could be preferable over another way...

[4] I very much doubt there is anything unusual or strange with the wiring at the property...

[5] It is very common to find that switched live conductors have not been clearly identified and to the unskilled DIY person may be thought of as neutral conductors..

[6] Electricity can kill a healthy adult in less than a second... it can start fires... it cannot be seen, smelt, heard.... It is still used in America as a tool to implement the death-penalty!!

[7] Motor vehicle electrics are a significantly different ball-game to UK domestic house supplies....

[8] It is possible to get electrical items working that are still potentially dangerous, polarity, earth continuity, earth loop impedance, RCD tripping times, are all basic stuff that a competent electrician can check, but leave many DIY'ers struggling!!!

[9] Get you landlord to fix it... If they are not helpful you should be able to pursue help via your council / citizens advice etc..
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/h...your-tenancy/complaining-about-your-landlord/

[10] from what you have said I would recommend you do NOT touch anything, as if you make things worse you could have even bigger problems!!!

Bog standard wiring for lights. Sounds like link from bathroom to rest of lights has been lost, damaged, not connected. If you have attic access above the bathroom, it won't be hard to fix. If your bathroom is under the flat roof, then chances are you can't access the wiring, but you should be able to take a link from the hallway to the bedrooms.

Just be aware if you are looking around in the loft and find a severed or disconnected cable, it could very well be live so take extreme care.

If this was a new flat roof fitted from the outside it is highly likely a nail has severed a cable.

Agreed the Landlord should fix it. If you push the issue and he tried to evict you you have a good case of that being a "revenge eviction" which is illegal.

but if you don't want to fight with the LL and you are getting a good deal on the rent just get an electrician in and don't tell the LL just say you found a loose wire and fixed it if he asks.

If the landlord is against the tenant getting an electrician in it does make you wonder if he is bothered by what else might be found to be non compliant

Hi,

Thanks.
Where in the uk are you

Where in the uk are you
I'm in Birmingham

Bog standard wiring for lights. Sounds like link from bathroom to rest of lights has been lost, damaged, not connected. If you have attic access above the bathroom, it won't be hard to fix. If your bathroom is under the flat roof, then chances are you can't access the wiring, but you should be able to take a link from the hallway to the bedrooms.
Yes, the attic door is in the bathroom, the last electrician that came couldn't fit through it lol

Just be aware if you are looking around in the loft and find a severed or disconnected cable, it could very well be live so take extreme care.

If this was a new flat roof fitted from the outside it is highly likely a nail has severed a cable.

Agreed the Landlord should fix it. If you push the issue and he tried to evict you you have a good case of that being a "revenge eviction" which is illegal.

but if you don't want to fight with the LL and you are getting a good deal on the rent just get an electrician in and don't tell the LL just say you found a loose wire and fixed it if he asks.
Thanks for the advice, I've dealt with small things before like fixing / installing a light fixture or changing the light switch, and I always turn the breaker off and wait for a few minutes to make sure the current that's left in the wires disperses. And yeah... for years we've accepted much more than that, just because of today's housing market, we're already rooted here, for more than 8 years and if it was just myself, I would have shown that pr*ck what's what and moved from this sh*thole but at this stage, can't fight him on anything...

If the landlord is against the tenant getting an electrician in it does make you wonder if he is bothered by what else might be found to be non compliant
You have no idea... And he was the one who didn't want to make us a 1 year contract because he thought we wouldn't pay (that after 6 years, when he decided to take the house back from the agency) and whenever we have to do something, he brings up the contract and legalities but he doesn't care about them when it comes to his responsabilities.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the feedback, I'll get back when I have to time to go in the attic and inspect it.