Fridge Compressor Wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cammc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently donated a built in fridge we had surplus from a renovation of our kitchen to a friend. Unfortunately, the builders removed the mains cable and threw it away so I made one myself to replace it. Only problem is that I can't work out where to connect it up. I've attached an image of the terminal block. It has the usual live and neutral connectors, denoted by 'L' and 'N', which the existing internal cables are connected to, but also has 'S' and '1', and I don't know what these are, though there's a black cable attached to the connector block labelled '1'. Anyway, my guess is that it should be fine to connect the mains lead wires to the right of the live and the neutral terminal connectors respectively. However, I'm not sure where the earth connector goes. There is no connector marked 'E' or ground or that has the usual earth symbol on the connector block, nor anything obvious on the chassis of the fridge, and I don't know the model or make of the fridge. I guess it may be possible to use a circuit tester from the terminals to the metal body of the fridge to see if it makes a circuit, and that might tell me which one the earth is, but unfortunately I don't have a circuit tester at the moment. Can any one offer any help? If I know that I can use an electrical tester as described to find out where to put the earth, I can see if I can borrow one from a friend but thought I should check with an expert first as I don't want to create something unsafe!

Thanks for any help,

Cam

fridge_connector.jpg

L & N appear to be as you summise. The earth will probably be the screw on the right, but a check with a tester will be a good idea. Connecting the earth to any metal part of the unit in the area would also probably be fine, but unnecesary.