Generation reading matching export reading

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanes

Reaction score
Hi All,

We moved into a house with a PV system (2.5kW system, no battery, on a FIT tariff from 2014) about 3 years ago and have been happily submitting generation readings from the dedicated generation meter, with no issues. Inverter in loft along with DC isolator, generation meter in built in cupboard below with AC isolator. Smart meter in meter box with no "extra" wiring in sight so.

This quarter we've been asked for an export reading for the first time, after a bit of back and forth with the FIT provider they confirmed that it's our smart meter that is registered as an export meter (suprisingly we're not on deemed export). They explained how to read the export out of the smart meter and that worked fine.

The issue is that our total generation since moving in matches the export reading to within a few units that would probably be explained by a few days difference in meter reads. The leaving readings the previous owners took when leaving showed around 1/3 export which seems sensible.

To me it seems like we've got an issue somewhere along the road as that's indicating all our generated units are being exported, which from my understanding would be very unusual, especially with being at home during the day and running washing machines etc. We've not had any work done around the CU since moving in, an electrician did move the inverter slightly in the loft (along the same wall) when we had a combi boiler fitted up there but that was a good few months after moving in so wouldn't explain 100% match between the figures, and I'd expect any screwups there to just make the whole system stop working.

I'm sure I'm being dim but I can't seem to picture a fault where the PV would be generating fine (consistently over the time we've been in) but exporting 100% with nothing being consumed locally- I could understand nothing being generated or exported (or a totally random export reading if I'd screwed up the read) but not a matched situation like this. Any ideas or anyone run across this before?

Sounds like a dodgy smart meter, but that's nothing new. Your inverter and generation meter should show very similar figures. I would only worry if there is a significant difference between those two displays. Could you post pictures of the smart meter wiring, wiring to Consumer unit and solar by smart meter. You will probably have to do that via a photo image site as this page prevents posting photos until you have posted 10 times to stop spamming.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll check the inverter reading tomorrow and get photos of the various parts of the system- don't think the CU photo will be very informative though as all wiring around that is concealed.

Presumably if it's a dodgy smart meter that would be the electricity supplier's responsibility (fortunately FIT and supply are both with the same company).