Had a call today . .......

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
from a customer whos shower packed up last week that I went and diagnosed as "needs a new one mate". Showed them screwfix catalogue and they decided they wanted a 8.5Kw one so said cabling would need upgrading to 10mm as only 6mm at moment and as the current shower was running off a 100mA RCD that would need changing to a 30mA unit, also the neon in the pull cord switch was illuminated all the time so said its probably just wired the wrong way round but no point in changing as will wire correctly with the 10mm.

So anyway got a call today from them, "bought the new shower and can I give them some advice to fit it" to which I replied "ermmm get an electrician to do it"

Why do people think we are citizens advice now? I won't give any advice on anything like that as when they make a total A$$E up of it and someone gets zapped it will be "the electrician told us to do it like that"

TO$$ERS

Rant over!

I hope they have good smoke detectors so they know the house is on fire while they are in the shower.

Why is it people are scared to do a bit of plumbing or hang a door, yet feel they are qualified to (it's only a couple of wires) mess with something likely to kill them.

fully agree with you tazmanian, it makes me really pi$$ed off :eek: when people go and install stuff they absolutely no idea with what they are actually installing in the first place. :(

Personally Bluey, I wouldn't even consider using 10mm for a 8.5KW shower. I know a lot of guys seem to be obsessed with 10mm , can never figure it out meself :|

Just putting on my helmet and flak jacket. ;)

Deke

Personally Bluey, I wouldn't even consider using 10mm for a 8.5KW shower. I know a lot of guys seem to be obsessed with 10mm , can never figure it out meself :| Just putting on my helmet and flak jacket. ;)

Deke
he didnt state installation method/distance etc, so it may well have needed 10mm

Yep less than 13 meters from db is ok on 6mm
Why 13m? ?:|

works out 8.5kW = 39A so 40A CB, 6mm2 = 47A, Zs max 0.93ohms

13m = Zs of 0.14ohms (10.49Mohms pm), and VD of 3.51v (1.52%)

Or have I missed something Andy?, Slips? apart from 40A CB might be tripping nuisance

i called senior technical area manager (niceic)over a problem with a shower i had been called out to. 10.5kw on 6mm cable. i stated that was problem straight away.

Engineer took me through cablecalc software and entered all details, (oh by the way manufacturers recommend shower to be on rcd, hence max zs permissable is 1667) 6mm cable passed volt drop, only he recommended 32 amp breaker, i said how come and reply was type b breaker would withstand 1.45 times tripping current for upto an hour.

i called senior technical area manager (niceic)over a problem with a shower i had been called out to. 10.5kw on 6mm cable. i stated that was problem straight away.Engineer took me through cablecalc software and entered all details, (oh by the way manufacturers recommend shower to be on rcd, hence max zs permissable is 1667) 6mm cable passed volt drop, only he recommended 32 amp breaker, i said how come and reply was type b breaker would withstand 1.45 times tripping current for upto an hour.
Cobblers

i called senior technical area manager (niceic)over a problem with a shower i had been called out to. 10.5kw on 6mm cable. i stated that was problem straight away.Engineer took me through cablecalc software and entered all details, (oh by the way manufacturers recommend shower to be on rcd, hence max zs permissable is 1667) 6mm cable passed volt drop, only he recommended 32 amp breaker, i said how come and reply was type b breaker would withstand 1.45 times tripping current for upto an hour.
I think the techie is referring to 433.1 and 433.1.1

433.1 Every circuit shall be designed so that a small overload of long duration is unlikely to occur

10.5kW = 45A for an hour on a 32A CB, does this meet the above condition?

I'd read 433.1.1 section

(i) & (ii) are conditional on each other

(iii) explains 1.45 times

well i didnt like it all the same, so as the shower was goosed i talked customer to puttin it a 9.5. (which works out less cause rated at 240 volt not 230). But what it did teach of was 9.5 on 6mm is fine so long as not too long a run. And correctly protected.

well i didnt like it all the same, so as the shower was goosed i talked customer to puttin it a 9.5. (which works out less cause rated at 240 volt not 230). But what it did teach of was 9.5 on 6mm is fine so long as not too long a run. And correctly protected.
Remember that all your calcs for nominal volts (Uo) are now based on 230v, :) for the record here I have 252v cause of my proximity to the DNO sub

as to 32A CB it's down to if it would nuisance trip or would limit it's life span with a potential that 9.5kW could draw, see what Andy, Batty, Slips amongst others say

Is that a reminder to get your safety boots fixed down at the shoe repairs after tea & cake's on Monday???? ?:| ;) ]:) :eek: :p
Batty while you are there can you pick up my dry cleaning and get me a key cut?

What 3 random things to operate in the same shop?