Had a PV slesman visit today / how ccan I DIY and get the feed in tarrif.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes a two part question.

Had a cold call from a PV company, so I thought I had nothing to lose to get them to come round.

I thought the salesman was stretching the truth a bit. He told me the feed in tarrif is currently paying 43p per KW hour. That bit I can understand.

But he also told me that during the daytime I would get paid at the feed in rate for any energy generated AND I would also save by not having to pay for that same amount of usage.

That doesn't make sense to me. Either you get paid for what you generate, or what you generate offsets what you use so reduces what you pay for, but surely not both?

Anyway long story short, to install a system with 8 195W panels would cost me a shade over

Last edited by a moderator:
you need to have MCS accreditation and by registered with REAL , or some other partner scheme to qualify for the FIT,

he is correct in saying you are paid for everything you generate, whether you use it or not, and at present you also get 50% of your generated units paid as exported too, about 3p a unit I think, (?).

you cant possibly be asking someone to sign off anothers work can you Dave.? ;)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:42 ----------

BTW, not seen your install, but would be wanting other quotes at that price, and only 195W panels, thats barely 1.5kW !!!

you cant possibly be asking someone to sign off anothers work can you Dave.?
Yes and no.

Remember we are not talking part P or anything under hand here.

And if anyone wanted to make it legit, I would install the panels, mount the inverter, pull the cables and let them make the final connections and sign it off.

It just goes against the grain to HAVE to pay somebody to do the WHOLE job if I am going to get the feed in tarrif. Would YOU do that? I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
you could always sub yourself out as a 'roofer' Dave, ;)
Okay, what I want is an acredited contractor to supply the kit at only a small mark up, and subcontract me as the roofer / labourer / dogs body to do 99% of the install. Then they just come and make the connection and sign it off so I can get the feed in tarrif.

And you get a nice holiday in the Highlands at a nice B&B, relax and enjoy yourself while I do the work for you to connect up.

good question,

would have to ask the girl in the office.

AFAIK it must all come via an approved MCS route,

so it probably doesnt make any difference, the big thing being, I suppose,

if we dont supply the kit then we have a lot of time to ascertain that it is all from a proper MCS source.

even with the mark up it might not be viable for just anyone to buy their own kit anyway, I dunno to be truthful.

Im waiting for the PM :innocent and I dont mean mr cameron.!
Don't hold your breath while waiting.

I was quite shocked at the prices I was quoted today. I'm keen to get some form of self generated power at some time, but not if it's going to break the bank, and one thing is for certain, I'm not going to borrow money to fund it, so anything I do has to come from my (small) savings.

At the moment I'm just exploring how to get such a system, and in particular how to get the feed in tarrif.

If you ask me, the government has got it all wrong at the moment. They seem to be funding a generous feed in tarrif, but you have to have it supplied and installed by an acredited firm and you have to pay up front.

Personally I think what's really needed is lower up front costs, possibly in the form of a grant or interest free loan, probably offset by a lower feed in tarrif.

I'm also exploring wind power, and hydro power (we have a burn running through our garden)

To be honest, it's looking like a completely DIY system may be what I do, which won't get the feed in tarrif and will just offset our usage, but will have the flexibility to be a mixture of solar, wind and hydro and have the flexibility to be added to as and when I can afford more panels or more turbines.

Dave,

AFAIAA at this moment it is prohibited to have any form of self generation backfeed onto the grid unless it is installed by an MCS installer,

with or without the feed in tariff it is still under the remit of the DNO as you will be backfeeding their equipment,

sorry for that.

you could fit an island system, but that in itself leads to more issues with contactors etc, and limited power,

To be honest, it's looking like a completely DIY system may be what I do, which won't get the feed in tarrif and will just offset our usage, but will have the flexibility to be a mixture of solar, wind and hydro and have the flexibility to be added to as and when I can afford more panels or more turbines.
Unless I've been sniffing the conduit weld again, I understand you need an ROC (a cert) & Export meter to sell to the grid (I think to the co. which supply your elec)

An MCS install would get you onto a MCS tariff which I understand is higher & underwritten by the Goverment.

I doubt the DIY approach is financially viable, however I think you should explore the option by contacting "**** Turpin Power Ltd'" or whoever your leccy supplier is?

Then do a non MCS blog?

PS just for the record I know nowt about Mirco Gen so could well be talking out my "a" hole

Too much paperwork to do it myself oficially.

If I ever find the money to go down this route I'll talk seriously to one of you acredited guys to see what package we can put together with me as your subbie.

Dave:

FYI: The company we`ve just picked up is expanding massively (from 2 teams to 8 teams - each doing 4 to 5 jobs a week - within 6 weeks).....

I know, for a fact, he`s been offered the contract to provide installs in Scotland.

The teams DO NOT have to be MCS certified, as the company are the MCS accredited installers - they just sub the work to a team, comprising a roofer, sparky & labourer (to both)...i.e. 3 bodies. If you are interested, and know any other interested parties....? I have suggested he join/sponsor the forum anyway; but I can always pass your details down if you`re interested.

PM me for details.

KME

Jst be carefull about using water as a power source,,, I remember seeing a program some years ago about someone who had a water turbine in a small stream in his garden IIRC he had to apply to the water board for special permission and pay an extra fee:O

It may have changed since though

Noz,

AFAIK, that is still the case it is enshrined in the Water Regulations, I'm still going through the study materials, if I come across it I'll try to remember to post up.

I have suggested he join/sponsor the forum anyway; but I can always pass your details down if you`re interested.PM me for details.

KME
Thanks Mr KME. :x

:)