Heated posts on generator thread

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Admin/Mods, not sure if this is in the right place, please move/delete it if you feel appropriate. I posted it here to ensure that those who look at the generator thread can find this too. Please excuse my indulgence.

Dear OP in generator thread, D Brennan,

You unfortunately picked a topic that many posters have strong views on, because, earthing is so fundamentally important. My stock description to persons is that the earth wire is the most important, I don't care about the L & N wires they only make the thing work!

All,

I've been around t'internet for a few years now. I had my first PC in 1989. I have email in my outlook folders back to 1997. I have had a modem in my PC since before that. Around 1994 when I got my first works laptop I had also recently got a modem for my home pc. I am however, new to forums. I use several on and off, for various topics. However, I only use 2 related to electrical topics. This is the most friendly and constructive. Please can we keep it that way.

As the mods have said, please all do not be afraid to post questions, we can all learn from constructive debate, some, myself included can get carried away.

Debate is good, discussion is good, sharing ideas is good. Educated people do this in a civilised manner.

If we are playing with electricity, then we should be educated, otherwise we should not be playing with the lecktrikery!

Just to give you an idea from my angle, why I can be so opinionated, and I suspect that others may have the same subliminal undertones to their articulations also.

It is what we do, it is our job, our profession, if we don't have passion for what we do to ensure safety then we should give up. This is why we get passionate in our posts, well me anyway! ;)

So to give you an insight, please excuse my indulgence:

I am an engineer I am paid for my opinions. If I am asked to design something, then I do. My design is based on my opinion or interpretation of the design brief, standards etc. One of my most favourite problems was an electronic / electrical servo control concept for the hydraulic pumps on the Thames Barrier. Yes THE Thames barrier, the pumps raise and lower the gates via hydraulic cylinders. I discussed the situation with the client, my colleagues in the hydraulic division of my employer and a few of my colleagues in the controls dept. I then went away and came up with a concept. I was convinced I was right. This was my opinion. I would have fought my corner to the end, unless I could be provided with a sound engineering reason with a well placed argument or justification why my design should be changed. In that case it would mean that my concept was not implemented, that was why I was so committed to my design.

I did not get involved in the detail design, programming and implementation etc. So were my opinions correct? Well London has not yet been flooded and the control concept has been implemented. So the pay I had for my opinions on the control system was justified. Hence I was paid for my opinion. This is the same with many engineers and engineering related occupations.

Again please forgive my indulgence, I'm just posting this to try to describe to some members, who may have been frightened by the ferocity of the Generator thread on times that it is because we care!

I HOPE!!! headbang

:Blushing

:coat

** Off to have a look at this thread **