Hello, and wind turbine questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerguy

Reaction score
Greetings all
I’m a farmer from sunny yorkshire looking to expand upon my pv array and wind turbine , hoping to nearly get off grid in the heavy usage areas of the farm . Self taught but don’t know it all looking for all you help and ideas . My setup at the moment is 6 kw proven wind turbine with Sam windy boy inverter ( inverter chipped to make the power curve better , did little in fact ) . 6kw solar sma inverters again . Both these systems grid tied and energy not been used goes to a power diverter feeding hot water immersion heater then excess to a 3kw room storage heater . So I try to use all the energy myself . Looking to install a off grid solar system with battery storage . Hoping you can answer my questions tho at times may seem daft , thank you Roger

Greetings all
I’m a farmer from sunny yorkshire looking to expand upon my pv array and wind turbine , hoping to nearly get off grid in the heavy usage areas of the farm . Self taught but don’t know it all looking for all you help and ideas . My setup at the moment is 6 kw proven wind turbine with Sam windy boy inverter ( inverter chipped to make the power curve better , did little in fact ) . 6kw solar sma inverters again . Both these systems grid tied and energy not been used goes to a power diverter feeding hot water immersion heater then excess to a 3kw room storage heater . So I try to use all the energy myself . Looking to install a off grid solar system with battery storage . Hoping you can answer my questions tho at times may seem daft , thank you Roger
Never heard of chipping an inverter.

Hi binky
This was for the wind turbine outfit the sma windy boy from 2010’s was in fact a sunny boy with a different badge I actually talked to sma the german part by email and they said there was a chip that could be replaced adding more points to the power curve . It only helped slightly tho . Trouble I found with the proven 6 kw was the inverter started up when the turbine was doing 260 rpm feeding in about 100 watts to it doing 266 rpm and feeding in 3.5 kw . The chip was ment to help this . Apparently it was ment to use more of the wind power . I think I could get more out the turbine charging up batteries using dc from the turbine to charge them don’t know tho

I think you would only be benefitting from the lost 100watts, but then you would have to convert that back to useable AC power via a pure sine wave inverter of some sort. So I think you would have to look at the efficiency of one of those versus the windy boy.

It's not a subject I know much about, but SMA gear is well made, tried and tested, so I suspect it's probably the better option?

Latest posts