Help requested please with how to wire a Tate T-BP8Z panel to a Tate branded Novagard external bell box

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebuilder

Reaction score
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help please?

I have a Tate T-bp8Z burglar alarm who’s external bell box had become damaged.

I was lucky enough to find a Tate Marked box that had never been fitted on Ebay but it was manufactured by RISC Group as part of their Novagard GA range and its not clear how they should be wired together.

The internal control panel has twelve terminals marked:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

+ battery - ST- S- + R- + AUX - spk- L+ C D

However, the external bell box has ten terminals:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Bat+ Bat- 0v +12v S- TMPR STR- TMPF FLT SET+

Other than linking the positive and negative terminals to provide permanent power for the onboard battery I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise me on which of the other terminals to connect please.

Picture of existing would help, but I would suggest

-S connects to S-
R- connects to TMPR

For future reference you don't have to have the same brand of sounder as your panel. Most modern external sounders will work with any panel.

Hi

Thank you for that.

I have just worked out how to display the terminal identifications so hopfully it actuall now makes some sence.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

+ battery - ST- S- + R- + AUX - spk- L+ C D

However, the external bell boxes have ten terminals:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Bat+ Bat- 0v +12v S- TMPR STR- TMPF FLT SET+

Sorry for the earlier post!

Hi

Still not brilliant but I hope its more legible.

1 .... +Bat
2 .... - Bat
3 .... ST-
4 .... S-
5 .... +
6 .... R-
7 .... + AUX
8 .... - AUX
9 .... spk-
10 .... L+
11 .... C
12 .... D

The external bell box has ten terminals marked:

1 .... Bat+
2 .... Bat -
3 .... 0v
4 .... +12v
5 .... S-
6 .... TMPR
7 .... STR-
8 .... TMPF
9 .... FLT
10 .... SET+

Many thanks

Tony

Panel sounder
s-...................s-

r- ..................TMPR

Pictures of your panel (its terminals) and its keypad would still help, as would picture of sounder connections

Thanks.

You could always use a short cable to test it before you put it up. When you do put it up do remove the cable tie around the microswitch.

For future reference:

A burglar alarm external sounder needs a minimum of 4 wires. As Homebuilder first said

the positive and negative terminals to provide permanent power

So that is two wires accounted for. These will be marked as + and - both in the sounder and the panel.

In order to tell the sounder to make a noise you need a 3rd wire, this is often known as the "ringer" (guess why) in panels and at the sounder this is usually marked as S or -S or even S- sometimes it is called Trig (Short for trigger)

The last wire is the one that tells the alarm panel that the external sounder is still there, it is a tamper wire, but it is often called Tamper Return, it is marked as TMPR or TR or -T or RTN

Not mentioned but worthy of note:
If your sounder has a strobe, you will need a 5th wire to cause the strobe to flash, this can be called STRB or STB or ST
Some, more sophisticated sounders also have other connections such as Set, Eng, Bf, In. You need not worry about these with the "average" alarm.
Most off the shelf external sounders will come with a connection diagram, please refer to it first, or look up the manufacturer of the sounder.
What colour of wire used is your choice, but it must be the same at both ends.

Hi

Absolutely brilliant!

Many thanks for your advice and patience.

I used the short link of cable and paired it to the panel where I could easily monitor it, as you suggested and I have just carried out a sounder test and have the flashing lights/the strobe and the siren in sequence!

A good job well done!

Cheers

Tony