Here we go again

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got an emergency call out to a customer i had not been to for about a year, half the power was off and would not reset. Turned up and went to the C/unit to see a new double Rcd board fitted (previously was an old MK sentry with Rcd main switch) I asked customer who changed it and he insisted it was me. After arguing with him it wasn't me for a while he called his wife who told us it was the Gate engineer because 'the old board was not strong enough'. When i was last there they were having metal railings and electric gates fitted, along with a large amount of outside lighting, both flush in the new paving and also wall mounted. The gate engineers Polish electrician fitted the board. No paperwork, no testing & nothing labelled.

Quickly worked out it was the 1st floor & entrance hall lighting at fault so removed lid off board. The new board had less ways than the last & numerous cables were fitted to each breaker. I found the cable at fault and after discussing it with the customer we came to the conclusion it was an old lamppost in the front garden and they had simply taped the cable end up and buried it (sorry no pictures worth taking)

I was asked to look at the front garden lights as none had worked for a while, although the gates did. The detached garage had a consumer unit which fed all the new garden supplies. The extra loading had been dealt with by connecting the 6mm SWA cable from the garage directly into a Henley block backed up by the DNO 100A fuse (This used to be in a 40A mcb). The same 'electrician' also fitted a new board in the garage. When i first looked the 2, 40A were off & i thought the Rcd/main switch arrangement was odd for a Wylex board. Once again nothing labeled. I removed the lid,

2011-11-15134938.jpg

Close up of the breakers, note cable sizes

2011-11-15135051.jpg

So i had a peek underneath

2011-11-15135028-1.jpg

Gave the feed cable a tug & look what was tucked up behind

2011-11-15135009.jpg

But its all ok as its earthed up ok

2011-11-15135120.jpg

I turned the 40A breakers on and none of the outside lights worked, but an extra fluorecent in the garage lit up followed by a burning smell. Breakers turned off pronto, lid replaced and told customer i would have to come back when i had a couple of days free & may have to take up some of the driveway and rewire most of the garage

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was made at 01:16 ----------

Thats a 2 core SWA fed from a TNS supply

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 01:21 ---------- Previous post was made at 01:20 ----------

Thats a 2 core SWA fed from a TNS supply

Erm, what's that RCD doing?. :slap

At least you found a fault.

I drove 20 miles to "half my lights are not working"

I replaced the 3A fuse in the FCU feeding the conservatory, and changed 4 light bulbs in the kitchen.

I do wish people would give an accurate description. If I had known that was ALL that was not working I wouldn't have made a special journey, but would have waited until I was in the area. headbang

Last edited by a moderator:
So what is the RCD for?...or did Stefan Electrikianisky not have a couple of blanks?.... :coat
Because it was a quality job they obviously used the better quality blanking plate modules, the ones with built in RCD function, so the fuse box looks better. It adds reassurance to the customer, making them feel safer, similar to those 'baby on board' car window stickers, so you can drive on the road knowing no one will crash into you.

Doc H.

I've heard poles are good at playing banjos but not good at using them!you should get the guys numbers and offer his previous customers an inspection for a bit more crimbo cash :slap

I dont think so
Of course I knew it wouldn't. Should have used a smilie. Wet Fish

So when the customer presses the test button every three months (as instructed by the label on the CU, The label is there isn't it?) and it does not trip he will call an electrician to get it looked at won't he.
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

hey look a random C-type

How do you buy a bunch of breakers and manage to get a C-type by accident. I wonder if this Pole even knows what a C-type is.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey look a random C-typeHow do you buy a bunch of breakers and manage to get a C-type by accident. I wonder if this Pole even knows what a C-type is.
Electric gate cct with motors on?

F****** s*** foreign imports.... I'm absolutely fed up to the b******* of this nonsense with people going round doing this sort of thing.

*Swear filter provided and utilised by myself especially designed for this situation..

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:33 ----------

And one of the boys went to price a fuse board tonight , "have you had any quotes already he asks? Yes,