Ideas for external waterproof cabinet for PV ground mounted system

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much air flow is needed, there are vents on both sides? genuine question.

How much air flow is needed, there are vents on both sides? genuine question.
for inverters, lots, the cooler they stay, the more efficient they are, and more importantly they don't get too hot in summer and shut down. So my preferred location for inverters is an external wall, ideally facing North, but definetly not in the sun. Even today my inverter is running at 30C, I've seen it upto 70C in summer. Inverters cool work by natural convection currents, so you need lots of air movement around them, the vents in that plastic box are not sufficient. It wouldn't be hard to add a few extra, top and bottom of the box, but also bear in mind you want to mount the inverter to a surface that won't melt, and I would be a little worried about the garde of plastic used for that box. Official recommendation is to place something like cement board between the inverter and any wooden boards(flammable surfaces), or you could fashion a metal frame from unistrut to keep the inverter cooling fins away from the plastic itself

Some random thoughts, cut the plastic floor to accept a concrete post to mount the gear on, put a stove fan inside the cabinet to get some air circulation when the temp reaches 50 deg C or thereabouts.

I would report that post as being condescending/rude, but it will go to you, and you obviously have a very high opinion of your posts, doubt this will be up long.

I would report that post as being condescending/rude, but it will go to you, and you obviously have a very high opinion of your posts, doubt this will be up long.
Do what you like, I care not.
I will never lower my standards, and I will say things as they are.
Electrical work is dangerous and should be always approached and undertaken correctly.
You obviously think that the post was aimed at you, so you must have some sort of guilt trip for having said what you said.
Use the right equipment for the job, and things will go fine, use the wrong equipment, and watch things go wrong.

I am not the only Mod/Admin, just one of them.
So, others will see your complaint. I am extremely disappointed that you feel I would act so unprofessionally as to delete or control a report about one of my comments, even though it is true, factual, and correct.

You are the first person in 12 years to suggest that I would act unprofessionally as a staff member of this forum.
I was part of the team who owned and ran this forum for years after we took it over from the original owner, however, as Binky has said, I am now extremely ill, so I had to give up responsibility for the forum.
I have however stayed on to assist the new owners as a mod/admin where I can.
Terminal cancer is a *****.

The Lone Ranger and Tonto are about to be overrun by hostile First Nations.
"Well Tonto, looks like the end for us"
"What do you mean, us ?", in a menacing voice.......