Incoming water and gas...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Reaction score
...are entering a property as plastic pipes. If the pipe work to be installed after the stop taps is copper I shall bond it but where do I stand if the whole installation is run in plastic? Is there a requirement to bond?

Sorry if this sounds a dumb question im in a rush.

Be back later to check replies.

Ta.

Ive been told that if plastic mains and then the installation is all in plastic no need to bond.

Anyone heard different?

Ive been told that if plastic mains and then the installation is all in plastic no need to bond.Anyone heard different?
if its copper inside, i would bond it

if everything is plastic, then no need. there is no-where to bond to...

But some plumbers like to put about 6 inches of copper from the plastic income and then plastic off the copper to to the rest of the house.

Evening fellas, I asked Elecsa this at my assessment and was told that if it was all plastic no need to bond, If you have bonded the gas ( allways in 25mm copper to the boiler ) then the water would be bonded were the gas pipe clamps onto the bottom of the boiler ????? ( usually 5/6 holes in a 2mm plate and all the fittings clamp on ), any thoughts ???????????.

Iain

Evening fellas, I asked Elecsa this at my assessment and was told that if it was all plastic no need to bond, If you have bonded the gas ( allways in 25mm copper to the boiler ) then the water would be bonded were the gas pipe clamps onto the bottom of the boiler ????? ( usually 5/6 holes in a 2mm plate and all the fittings clamp on ), any thoughts ???????????.Iain
i dont think bonding gas and relying on the boiler complies

i dont think bonding gas and relying on the boiler complies
And I've been told that the reason is because the final fitting to the boiler is a compression fitting and the use of PTFE around the thread acts as an insulator.

Makes sense if you think about it.

Ive been told that if plastic mains and then the installation is all in plastic no need to bond.Anyone heard different?
Can you get a shock from a plastic pipe? I dont think so.

+ wot size would the bonding conductor have to be when connected to copper pipe on a plastic incomer. The expected current will not be anywhere near the expected maximum fault current on the gas main, because it is not earthy.

4mm should be ok....but do you infact make it more dangerous putting an earth on it?

if the incomer is in plastic no need to bond, also no one bonds boilers anymore even in kitchens and bathrooms,most clients still ask for a 10mm to the stop tap even if plastic incomer but not needed.

Gas is always bonded or should be and there is a bonding plate on most boilers which all the pipes are tightened to so thats fine to.

god knows why people use plastic ... hate it . :0

if the incomer is in plastic no need to bond, also no one bonds boilers anymore even in kitchens and bathrooms,most clients still ask for a 10mm to the stop tap even if plastic incomer but not needed.Gas is always bonded or should be and there is a bonding plate on most boilers which all the pipes are tightened to so thats fine to.

god knows why people use plastic ... hate it . :0
Fast and cheap and easy :D

But ugly

Can you get a shock from a plastic pipe? I dont think so.?
You can if someone whacks you round the back of the neck with a 1m length of plastic 22mm!..........

and its got a push-fit tee connector on the end as well!! :( :^O :p :^O:^O:^O:^O

You can if someone whacks you round the back of the neck with a 1m length of plastic 22mm!..........and its got a push-fit tee connector on the end as well!! :( :^O :p :^O:^O:^O:^O
I STAND CORRECTED:^O

You can if someone whacks you round the back of the neck with a 1m length of plastic 22mm!..........and its got a push-fit tee connector on the end as well!! :( :^O :p :^O:^O:^O:^O
Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley that deserves a Guiness Drink or 5