Information

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmh474

Reaction score
Would just like to say hello first this is my very first post, i've got a little story i used to work for well known electrical company, but after my daughter passed away, lets just say my company seemed ok to start off with but in the end they showed their true colours so i left very unhappy, but things are looking up for me now life is getting better, so now i would like to start my own little company bit of a one man band, i guess you could say, installing intruder alarms in homes and small businesses , but i'm un shore how to go about it, my qualifications are PEO level 2, 2330 level 2 and 3, iv a wide range of electrical work for over 6 years everything from house bashing to installing pumps for AW and hospital fire alarms to intruder alarms in stately homes  i would just like to know where to start would i reg with a company like nacoss or are there any other qualifications i would need to obtain any help would be great thanks for all your help

For basic bog standard domestic work you don't actually need anything other than to tell HMRC that you are now self employeed.....

For some commercial and insurance related stuff you may need accreditation with some specific trade bodies....

You just need to calculate the outgoings for membership of any body -vs- the benefits it gives....

sometimes being a member of "AN.OTHER.SCHEME" is that bit of extra edge to help you win a contract even if it is not a legal obligation to be a member of anything...

A few City & Guilds for electrical installation work would be a help IMHO.....

Say you are asked to move an alarm panel to a cupboard with no power to it.....

The ability and qualifications to be able to add or move a socket or spur will add more confidence and authority to your sales pitch!!

Guinness

oh, well, from my experience, if you want to do intruder alarms, and are NOT a member of something like nacoss then your insurance will be extorinate , to say the least,

and, a lot of householders insurance companies wont recognise they have an alarm fitted if you are not a member, so,

my answer would be,

if you want to install alarms,

investigate some more, I think being a member of nacoss would pay itself if you want to aim for the sector of the market.