18th Edition Wiring Regulations Certificate/Exam

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Ekermans

Reaction score
Hi and good day... I am currently wanting to do my 18th edition wiring regulations certificate/exam and was wondering if any one has or knows of where I could get/acquire any old exam papers/questions??? As have been told that this is one of the best ways to prepare for the exam...
Many Thanks and have a awesome weekend

Hi and good day... I am currently wanting to do my 18th edition wiring regulations certificate/exam and was wondering if any one has or knows of where I could get/acquire any old exam papers/questions??? As have been told that this is one of the best ways to prepare for the exam...
Many Thanks and have a awesome weekend

Hi Wayne.. Welcome to the forum... (y)🍻
In my opinion there is no "one-size-fits-all" method for anyone sitting exams as numerous factors need to be considered..

e.g.
Are you currently an employee in a larger electrical contractor business with various work colleagues who have already passed their 18th who you can ask advice, guidance, tips, from?

Are you a sole trader and/or not yet employed within the trade, thus have no other persons you could discuss any grey areas, uncertainties about interpretation of various regs' etc..?

Have you taken previous C&G exams for earlier editions?

Has it been a long time since you last took a C&G exam?

Are you familiar with the double-negative type twist of the wording frequently used in C&G multi-choice questions?

Have you decide where / when / and who you will actually use to invigilate when you take the real on-line exam?.... And have you asked them what training, revision resources they can or cannot provide..? Also is it within a reasonable local travel distance?

There are numerous C&G course providers, some have their own buildings/exam rooms etc.. Others provide a mobile service at various local venues, e.g. hotel conference rooms and bring all their own computers to take the exam on..

Some offer a single day where you just go & sit the exam, Others may offer one or two days, with additional level of summary recap through each of the sections of the regs' with example questions, and highlighting additions and changes from previous editions...

Any combination of various permutations such as the above, can sway the consideration as to which is the best option for anyone sitting an exam...

Side Note #1:
Back in the late 1990's early 2000's I took a few Open University computer related courses..
Which were basically home-self-learning, with some "optional" physical classroom-type days during the course, plus a revision day the week before the exams.. We were told that statistically those who attended the classroom tutorial days and the revision days always got higher marks!

Side Note #2:
I did my 18th C&G exam in Nov 2022 at a local hotel approx 30min from home, with an electrical course provider who do mobile services around the country... I opted for a couple of days at a small conference room with approx 15 of us doing a bit of revision training before the exam day, as it had been 14 years since I sat my last C&G exam when I did the 17th edition in April 2008, and I am a sole trader with no-one else to bat ideas with.... They used laminated copy pages of exam questions that you took home to have a go at overnight with a non-permanent marker pen, before returning the following day to evaluate / discuss the correct answers.. (you then handed back the folders with the laminate sheets, so I don't have any copies to pass on! ). Personally I found this method helpful and worthwhile and I passed with 97%

Side Note #3:
How confident are you? At the end of the day, Nobody really gives a toss if you have passed with 100% or just 1% above the pass threshold! If you are feeling a bit anxious or lacking confidence it may be worthwhile finding an exam provider who can offer some local classroom type revision training.

Side Note #4
If you have a reasonable level of common sense and understanding of BS7671 regs wording.... then it is not too difficult to pass.

Good luck and best wishes with your ongoing qualifications studies!
🍻