Intruder alarm problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJames

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some help with our intruder alarm. Basically it's the classic situation where we've moved into a house and don't have the code for the alarm, the previous people didn't know it but we've tracked down the owners before them and they've come up with a number - only we haven't dared use it yet.

The alarm in question seems old, we have no manual and the only name visible is 'optima', I've googled it and although I've found some similar looking alarms online I haven't found our actual one.

I'm not sure if the forum allows picture links, but I'll give it a go:

4zi9yvcgh

From what I've read online the battery inside the main unit seems dead, if the power is cut the external alarm sounds (albeit not as loud as one would expect from an alarm), annoyingly it's on the same circuit as the lights - I wanted to change the light in the bathroom but I can't disconnect the power without triggering the alarm.

Also we're a little worried about getting power cuts.

We don't want to use the alarm, we want to power it down but I have no idea how to do that. As mentioned earlier we have no manual, no exact model number but a code that may or may not be correct.

Short of getting an extension ladder and smashing the siren off the house, is there a simpler way of doing things?

Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated!

Jim

get someone who knows what they are doing to disconnect it?
That is of course an option, problem is I don't know anyone in a personal capacity who can do it. Calling an alarm company and having them come out is the obvious solution but I hope to avoid their call out charges, especially since we don't want to use it.

Hi Mr James, unfortunately giving information over the internet about disabling alarms is not what any one within the law would like to do.

OK here goes,open the panel and look at the size of the battery it will be 12v and probably 1.2Ah,then go to screwfix  or toolstation and get one,it will be less than 20 quid.Remove the old battery and replace it, then try your code,if it doesn't work it's pretty easy to change the code,if an alarm works then keep it,you may need it one day.

pretty annoying if it's wired to the lights, if a shoddy TFL goes pop it's gonna wake all the neighbours up, then you're gonna have to fumble about in the dark with the siren going off! :slap

better just to smash it off the wall with a hammer IMO.

(wear earplugs and take out the backup battery)

:)

Latest posts