Just arrived...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dyslexicbloke

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I am looking for a bit of education here, specific questions but general stuff too.

I qualified C&G working for an NIC accredited firm back in the day, the day in question being a couple of decades ago.
Between then and now I have done several things, not all related to anything electrical and no circuit design or install for a LONG time.
I haven't been properly 'current' since about 16th / 3 or 4, because I haven't needed to be.

Anyway I am considering getting current and tooled up, test equipment specifically, and thought this would be a good place to start.

I also need some specific advice but that would be another post.

Cheers all,
Al

Welcome to the forum.. (y) 🍻

If you were properly C&G qualified and competent to the 16th...
Then I would guess it should not be too hard to bring yourself up to speed with the 18th..? :unsure:

Have a google to see if there are any local and/or online training providers who can get you back up to speed with the 18th ed qualifications?

Personally I prefer a physically attended course over an on-line option..
And after our local college stopped offering any electrical C&G courses...
I have used PASS training in the past to keep my qualifications up to date..
http://www.pass-training.co.uk/courses/electrical/

They do various locations around the country using hotel conference rooms with Laptop internet connected exams on the last day.
Then they tell you the same day if you have passed, and couple of weeks later you get your C&G certificate through the post.

To the best of my knowledge an industry recognised "multi-function-tester" that was capable of doing full testing to 16th edition..
should still be capable of 17th and 18th edition testing..?

SO.. If you already have a half decent 16th edition compliant tester, it may just need checking with a meter calibration provider?

Useful tuff folks, thanks.
RE test quipment... Not so lucky. I never owned calibrate stuff, always used kit issued by my employer and anyway, D-Lock, which didnt trip breakrs when doing an earth loop was still a big thing back then...

Thease days I have several multi meters, a clamp or two and an insulation tester that is capable of 1000V AC tests but none of it calibrated, it just isnt nrcessarry for panel work.

Clasroom courses as opposed to distance learning, well yes I would prefer that too but I anm not sure if I can stack it up cost wise.
Dont get me wrong I will not be going out there half cocked and claiming to be an expert but lately I have been running into issues with practicing electricians just not having the depth of knolidge I need to get the job done.
To be clear I currently dont have the depth of knolidge or familirity with the current regs either, hence the move to educate, but most of what I do, get involved with, is well outside the typical box.

The one thing that strikes me when looking at recent electrical practice and compring it to my admittedly rusty and vague old knolidge is the lack of calcultion that is aparantly involved...
I remember having to look at 'Energy Let through', at least I think that was the terminology, and calculating CPC and bonding conduvtor size based on a 50V limit at PSC... As far as I can see that isnt even a thing any more.
Obviously I get that it is still probably underpinning the current regs and, as I said I havent reda them either so I may be talking utter B.....ks, but still all those years ago when I passed the C&G 16th, 12 weeks in 2 Hr chunks if I remember correctly, things seemd less well derined and more complex.
Of course you could still call the NIC and the local guy would com out and walk a site with you... I am assuming that isnt a thing any more.

I am not to worried about regular day to day domestic work, I am not interested in part P or its derivertives for example, but I probably need to get to a point where I can both design and test LV distribution and local control circuits.

Case in point see my question about switched CPC in a changover. Which can be seen if you Click Here

Onward and upward I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
NVQ lvl3 ... ?
Well I know that is a National Vocational Qualification but can you explain the significnce here?

I did the/my course tn Newcastle Under Lyme
I think it was C&G but even then NVQ was beginning to be a thing. My gas qualification was CITB, which I think is defunked now...
Too many compeating quals to keep on top of. Heck I cant for the life of me remenber what the refrigeration qual was even called.
My point is I wouldnt have a clue how to find out what quaks I have let alone if they are still relavent.

I was under the impression that nothing was actually 'required' althought I apricite, and agree, that it should be, wouldnt want to mis-represent my level of competency, and do not think that 20 mins online makes a qualified competent individual.

I am assuming my grounding is good, detailaed recent knolidge is none existant, and that my goals are ambitious. Hence the requirement to get up to speed and also to know when to step back and hand over to a local guy/gal.
Like I said, I have no interest in messing about with part P or anything related. Installation dsign and testing on the other hand... Well I need to be more switched on than the local guy to be effctive.

Thar said if you are a local guy/gal in south west Scotland who can do more than a typival domestic spark give me a shout.
Same applies in north Wales.
I still want to get up to speed but I have two, potentally four, projecys right now that need input.

Thanks,
Al

Welcome to our friendly corner of the net.

I qualified under 15th edition, 236 course and when I went self employed had to take current regs course and recently had to do the 2391 test and inspect to bring me upto date.

Have a look at DJT Electrical training. Based on the Wirral. Did my 2391 with them and would throughly recommend them.

Welcome to our friendly corner of the net.

I qualified under 15th edition, 236 course and when I went self employed had to take current regs course and recently had to do the 2391 test and inspect to bring me upto date.

Have a look at DJT Electrical training. Based on the Wirral. Did my 2391 with them and would throughly recommend them.
I will thanks... The Wirral is pretty close.

If you were to go for an Ecs/JIB gold card then depending what year you did your 16th then you may need a NVQ to get it.
IIRC 1999 seems to stick in the kind as a cut off date, prior you didn’t need an NVQ after you did, but please check on Jib grading for confirmation.