KSR Lighting! NEVER AGAIN AND I WOULD ADVISE OTHERS NEVER TO WASTE THEIR MONEY

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
So, I have used some KSR batten fit PIR sensors on a job, seemed ok. NOT on KSR fittings I may add
Second phase of the job I needed 18 fittings and 9 detectors. So I got KSR twin 6' LED fittings and KSR PIRs

Firstly the idiots supply the PIR with wires that are 6" too fecking short for a 6' fitting, when questioned their considered response was "oh they only usually fit them to 5' fittings" even though their rating far exceeds 2 twin 6' fittings

So, one fitting failed, replacement supplied, hey ho 💩 happens

Now another has failed after 11 months! I asked about compensation for my time and fuel (30 mile round trip twice)

Apparently they are not prepared to compensate me for a single rogue fitting ( this is the second rogue fitting )

IN THE OPINION OF KSR MY TIME IS WORTH NOTHING

So, dear reader, be warned and please spread the word

So, I have used some KSR batten fit PIR sensors on a job, seemed ok. NOT on KSR fittings I may add
Second phase of the job I needed 18 fittings and 9 detectors. So I got KSR twin 6' LED fittings and KSR PIRs

Firstly the idiots supply the PIR with wires that are 6" too fecking short for a 6' fitting, when questioned their considered response was "oh they only usually fit them to 5' fittings" even though their rating far exceeds 2 twin 6' fittings

So, one fitting failed, replacement supplied, hey ho 💩 happens

Now another has failed after 11 months! I asked about compensation for my time and fuel (30 mile round trip twice)

Apparently they are not prepared to compensate me for a single rogue fitting ( this is the second rogue fitting )

IN THE OPINION OF KSR MY TIME IS WORTH NOTHING

So, dear reader, be warned and please spread the word
I've gone off KSR battens, they don't seem to last like they should. Out of interest was said failed fitting in a warm place?

So... the burning question well are all wanting to know the answer to is....

KSR lighting -vs- the big DIY warehouse with orange uniformed staff..

Who would win??
;):p:ROFLMAO::cool:

Nope, no heat. Just storage area
Am early batch had underated temperature spec for the LEDs so failed in the summer, as I found out the hard way. The replacement units are currently working fine for a few years now, but you have to ask yourself whether the high lumen output is stressing the LEDs? So slight voltage spike and it wipes them out? I've just had a call about a batten I fitted 3 years ago in a church hall kitchen, not exactly overused. My wholesaler doesn't seem to think there's an issue, but I've taken to fitting different battens that are slightly dimmer, and I they prove to be more reliable.

KSR were good to me initially. They, or any other, will not pay for your lost time which does not instill confidence in the product itself..
A customer had 12x KSRFRD integrated D/L the odd one failing just after 3 yrs (fitted by someone else). They supplied a replacement free of charge when I enquired. The following year more failed, after replacement, I asked to have the rest replaced which they did.
However, the return postage and my time was charged to the customer. Not less that a year later one of the replacements failed. KSR did not replace it due to the original batch number expiring for warranty. I replaced all of them with D/L cans and 80w equiv Osram GU10s.

The KSR and NVC LED battens have served me well but I too have noticed some not lasting as long as they should. I give 12 months guarantee on supplied parts (not bulbs/lamps) I might reduce this or include integrated LED fittings if this is the trend.
A non SMD 1.8w LED Gu10 fitted in 2006 is still going strong but the output is equivalent to walking into a dim night club.

LED tubes are getting there but not for higher output - triple/quad batten fittings anyone ?

Maybe we need to have a list of actual experiences. I write the date of install/replacement on it for future ref.

My best so far in amenity lighting is NVC - 7 years av 10 hours/day and Saxby @ 6 years (with microwave sensors). However, as we well know the replacement will not be the same as the original.......Oh.... still the mighty plastic mountain grows, river deep......take it away Tina!

I've taken to writing dates in led fittings as well. The only stuff I've not had an issue with is Kosnic 2D gear trays, which I've been fitting for many years and don't think I've ever replaced one. Crompton led 'tubes' seem pretty good. Something else I've been fitting for years in a certain car park. A few of those have failed, after roughly 3/4 years, but I think that was down to the microwave sensors that car park has. I have replaced the oversensitive sensors with PIRs so that the lights aren't being constantly switched on unnecessarily.

Trouble with all this stuff is that it takes years to reach a conclusion, unless it fails quickly.

+1 to Kosnic. Never had an issue with their corridor dim microwave lamps
As opposed to the utter dog faeces from KSR

At present

B&Q 💩 💩💩
KSR 💩

This is based on initial cost and the fact that they are replacing the part ( it would have been Small claims court if not😂)

SPREAD THE WORD
I may open a twatter account

Good to know about kosnic s I was apprehensive due to older kosnic stuff failing , will give them another try a try at least.

Latest from 'couldn't care less mate, your time is worthless, jog on KSR'

Quote from their customer alienation team "Agreed it is an inconvenience, but it is similar to a lamp change as there is no wiring involved "

And then said they may be able to sort out a discount on a 'future substantial order'! Yep, that will happen

SPREAD THE WORD ON ANY MEDIA PLATFORMS YOU FREQUENT PLEASE

Good to know about kosnic s I was apprehensive due to older kosnic stuff failing , will give them another try a try at least.
I've only really used their gear trays, what the rest of their stuff is like I've no idea. I am increasingly frustrated by LED lighting, if it gets to 5 years it seems you are doing well. Now it's fair to say varying circumstances such as grid voltage spikes, switching operations etc all affect lifespan, and it's almost impossible to get a true feeling for what happens when you are not on site, but...

I am also considering SPDs may well be the way forward to protect LED lighting. I've also changed to using Fitzgerald battens at a school I do work for, it will be interesting to see if they live longer than the KSR I used to fit there. They are a few £more, but if I haven't got to replace them every few years it will be money well spent.

My other big bugbear is waterproof floodlights leak FFS.

I've also changed to using Fitzgerald battens at a school I do work for, it will be interesting to see if they live longer than t
I only used Fitz for years ( they won two Lighting Industry Federation awards for my jobs) and got to know Tony Stuchberry the UK sales manager very well, along with Peter Fitzgerald and his son Tim. Alas time and circumstances change

I only used Fitz for years ( they won two Lighting Industry Federation awards for my jobs) and got to know Tony Stuchberry the UK sales manager very well, along with Peter Fitzgerald and his son Tim. Alas time and circumstances change
They are still based in Bodmin, Cornwall. Not sure they make much of their own gear, but if they get the specs right it will hopefully remain a better quality product. Rexel stock their gear.

Good info Guys....thanks... I shall take a look at Fitz too.

We should not be installing SPDs to solve a problem with new technology/products. The real issue, seen repeatedly, is that these products are not fit for purpose where the old stuff worked perfectly.
If the electronics are too sensitive to transients then make them robust. I have only recommended one SPD in the last 16 years due to local heavy industry transients causing issues. (apart from plug in SPDs for computers)

I have used KSR products with good results. I installed eight on one job I had one failure after three years. I replaced the unit and so far all ok. It seems the ones on soft start dimmers survive well but hard switched is where I had the failure.

KSR were good to me initially. They, or any other, will not pay for your lost time which does not instill confidence in the product itself..
A customer had 12x KSRFRD integrated D/L the odd one failing just after 3 yrs (fitted by someone else). They supplied a replacement free of charge when I enquired. The following year more failed, after replacement, I asked to have the rest replaced which they did.
However, the return postage and my time was charged to the customer. Not less that a year later one of the replacements failed. KSR did not replace it due to the original batch number expiring for warranty. I replaced all of them with D/L cans and 80w equiv Osram GU10s.

The KSR and NVC LED battens have served me well but I too have noticed some not lasting as long as they should. I give 12 months guarantee on supplied parts (not bulbs/lamps) I might reduce this or include integrated LED fittings if this is the trend.
A non SMD 1.8w LED Gu10 fitted in 2006 is still going strong but the output is equivalent to walking into a dim night club.

LED tubes are getting there but not for higher output - triple/quad batten fittings anyone ?

Maybe we need to have a list of actual experiences. I write the date of install/replacement on it for future ref.

My best so far in amenity lighting is NVC - 7 years av 10 hours/day and Saxby @ 6 years (with microwave sensors). However, as we well know the replacement will not be the same as the original.......Oh.... still the mighty plastic mountain grows, river deep......take it away Tina!
Some technology doesn't get better, just different... I know LED's are far more efficient, but I miss incandescent bulbs and fluorescents, in most cases, the light from them was just much nicer and you needed less to achieve the desired lumens.

Car lighting too, I used to be able to change a blown halogen bulb for £5 or so in 5 minutes. My current cars lighting, in the event of just a daytime running light LED failing means the none serviceable, whole headlight assembly, needs to be replaced at a cost of many hundreds of pounds and an hours work dis-assembling and re-assembling the bumper! As if that isn't bad enough, the light output isn't even better (or as good as some) than most halogen headlight cars I've owned!

Sorry, don't mean to go off topic, I suppose the point is this new tech needs to be very durable long term as well as just energy efficient! Sorry to hear of the hassle and cost this is causing for you and your customers. :(

Latest posts