lighting cct trips after 2-3 hrs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul copeman

Reaction score
hi all

i have a cct in a pub that trips after 2-3 hrs

breaker can be reset immediately and works fine for another 2-3 hrs then trips again

ive checked wiring at all lights on cct, disconnected lights and run IR tests on wiring

thought i found the problem when i pulled out a lamp and the screw cap stayed in its holder i.e glass broke off in my hand but problem still persists

trouble is it cct seems fine when i am on site and then trips after a couple of hrs

cct is supplying 7 bulkhead fittings 6 GU10 spotlight fitting (3 GU10 on each) and metal halide flood lights on a 6A breaker

which ithought wasa abit much so i removed some of the lamps from the spots and still problem persist

any help pls????

Whats the wattage on the metal halide floods, are the GU10's 50 watts and what sort and rating bulheads? Also did you measure the running current with a clamp meter if you have one?

GU10 are a mixture of LEDS and 35W bulkheads are60W and floods i cant get to properly as they are too high but id say 400 or 500W

dont have a clamp meter so couldn,t measure like that im afraid

I would probably be looking at your circuit is overloaded by the floods. Could you borrow a clamp meter from someone?

Possibly could change 6amp to 10amp breaker if cable is 1.5mm,

also as a thought what breakers are next to this in the consumer unit? are they carrying a lot of current as well making the breaker warm and causing the thermal trip to operate?

Try and relocate breaker in the board if you can.

^

my first thoughts also without actually seeing the circuit,

Im not sure if simply changing from a 6 to 10 is OK.

you need to actually look at the circuit and decide if that is a suitable solution.

cant change to 10A as is only 1mm cable

im gonna try disconnecting floods tommorow if i can get to junction box see if its them

they may have water in them

Are you sure their is nothing else on this circuit. I have found odd stuff like the hand drier in the gents connected to the lights, thats why the circuit only blows every 3-4 hours ( sometimes days :) )
Cant stand it when blokes dont wash their hands after using the loo! So perhaps this is either a quiet pub or full of stinky beggars who dont know personal hygeine!

tell me about it slpishod

i all the outside lighting 2 uplighters for willow trees and 3 lamposts on a three pin plug this morning

ill have to have a good look into it

didnt have much time today so if i get to go back to it tommorow ill check all wiring make sure nothing else is connected

tell me about it slpishodi all the outside lighting 2 uplighters for willow trees and 3 lamposts on a three pin plug this morning

ill have to have a good look into it

didnt have much time today so if i get to go back to it tommorow ill check all wiring make sure nothing else is connected
Paul, can you decipher your post into English please mate :)

Any chance of some pics please Paul - Just being a nosey bar steward, that's all mate.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:28 ----------

If and when you go back I mean, mate. :)

sorry admin i disconnected it in order to sort it out properly

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:33 ----------

all SWA were going to a connector block which was then wired to a three pin plug in T+E and not even on an RCD or anything