Linking mcb in consumer unit with wire not busbar

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree as any conductor installed should always be protected by appropriate Fuse size. 6mm as short as this is rated at approx 45 amp but in this case is protected by 60 - 100 amp Main Fuse. the smallest cable to handle 100 amps is 25mm so I would always use busbar links.

I disagree as any conductor installed should always be protected by appropriate Fuse size. 6mm as short as this is rated at approx 45 amp but in this case is protected by 60 - 100 amp Main Fuse. the smallest cable to handle 100 amps is 25mm so I would always use busbar links.

And you teach? tut tut

Ian, I think what they are referring to are 433.3.1(ii) and 434.2.1

Although 434.2.1(ii) suggests to me that the single insulated cable should be sheathed (T&E with neutral & cpc removed)

and 434.2.1(iii) suggests it should not be done in plastic CUs

Last edited by a moderator:

The short length of cable will never be exposed to 60-100Amps becuause the 32A MCB will never be drawing more than 32Amp

The short length of cable will never be exposed to 60-100Amps becuause the 32A MCB will never be drawing more than 32Amp
^^^That's what i was thinking reading through this thread.

I have done this dozens of times with the small 4way dbs. One RCD and two MCBs one for a light the other for a socket.

Using wire links instead of busbar is pretty much standard practice in many parts of the world. Not unsafe if it's done right. No idea if it's contrary to UK wiring regs though.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can protect a cable at load end against overloaded & supply end against short circuit.

Nothing wrong with that related to BS7671, and, many other standards.

If this was a problem i think the house would have burnt down by now, the question  was asked over 4 years ago !