Looking for a sense check -to good to be true

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barry.millar

Reaction score
Hi total novice here looking for a sense check on a Solar pv quote

Info
45 deg roof 11m wide by 9m (house footprint)100% unshaded bang on south facing, no obstructions on roof.
Current elec usage is around 4000kwh per annum varying from around 10-15kwh per day never more or less as we both work from home and have fairly balanced usage.

Got quoted a 12kw system to include 6kw battery and immersion divertor. (Water currently heated from a gas condensing boiler though elec heater is there for manual use.

By their quote this will gen over 10kwh per annum so well over what I need even accounting for immersion which saves me some gas and also potentially factors in a couple of elec cars in me future

This reads as if it will pretty much make me have zero reliance on mains elec and significantly reduce my gas

Too good to be true??

Hi total novice here looking for a sense check on a Solar pv quote

Info
45 deg roof 11m wide by 9m (house footprint)100% unshaded bang on south facing, no obstructions on roof.
Current elec usage is around 4000kwh per annum varying from around 10-15kwh per day never more or less as we both work from home and have fairly balanced usage.

Got quoted a 12kw system to include 6kw battery and immersion divertor. (Water currently heated from a gas condensing boiler though elec heater is there for manual use.

By their quote this will gen over 10kwh per annum so well over what I need even accounting for immersion which saves me some gas and also potentially factors in a couple of elec cars in me future

This reads as if it will pretty much make me have zero reliance on mains elec and significantly reduce my gas

Too good to be true??
for about 2/3rds of the year, you will see massive bill reductions, possibly buy no leccy at all. However, winter is short days and low sun in the sky, so surplus energy to charge battery is scarce and you will buy energy from the grid. Have a look at the SMA portal below for a similar size system to yours or in your area to get a good feel for winter outputs. NB 10,000kWh per annum on a 12kW system is low, I would expect 1000kWh per kW of panels unless it is restricted by an undersized inverter.

https://www.sunnyportal.com/Templates/PublicPagesPlantList.aspx

Thank you for the info
That site was really useful some excellent examples in my area which show what you are saying, dec and jan prob only generates about half to 3/4 of what i use.

Thank you for the info
That site was really useful some excellent examples in my area which show what you are saying, dec and jan prob only generates about half to 3/4 of what i use.
that would be about right, and even worse the last couple of winters have been very overcast down yer in Debon. Cold clear winters generate more leccy. Today, my 3.3 kWp system has generated 19kWh so far. Current weather is actually too hot, the panels effectively overheat and produce less unless you have hybrid panels like Sanyos or Amorphous thin film silicone panels - but you wont like the price of those if you can find any :D