Main Earth - New water mains plastic

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fieldda

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just a question out of curiosity. Our plumber has replaced our water main in our 1940's house with a new plastic pipe. From what I can see the Consumer unit earth is connected to the Water Main as I would have expected but this also appeard to be the Main Earth for the property as I cannot see any other spur off to an earth rod. Is this normal for the age of the property to have the main water incomer as the earth? Has he effectively disconnected our earth?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, I think a simple test of earth loop impedance at the CU to get your Ze reading would give a fair indication if your earth has been disconnected. 1940's? According to my simplistic calculation that should have had at least two to three period inspections during that lifespan. Do you have any previous certificates to refer to? Does the CU have suitable protection to imply it may have been a TT earth arrangement? e.g. front end 100ma RCD maybe? Any alteration work during the past 20+ years should have picked if if the earth was inappropriate for current regs.

Doc H.

Hello All,Just a question out of curiosity. Our plumber has replaced our water main in our 1940's house with a new plastic pipe. From what I can see the Consumer unit earth is connected to the Water Main as I would have expected but this also appeard to be the Main Earth for the property as I cannot see any other spur off to an earth rod. Is this normal for the age of the property to have the main water incomer as the earth? Has he effectively disconnected our earth?

Thanks in advance.
I have heard that in the 'old days' it was acceptable to use an incoming metallic water pipe as the main earth to a house. This practice is'nt allowed anymore. I would contact an electrician immediately so that he can perform an 'external earth loop test' to clarify whether your wiring is earthed or not. You may require some earth rods installing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our house was built in the 50's and originally was earthed through copper water pipe but when council rewired some 30 years back an earth was then put on lead sheath. I would strongly recommend you get it checked out ASAP unless you can do it yourself as Rev 2 says.

so, you think your house may not have an earth. so you go on a forum to ask instead of calling a sparky

if you feel like your having to heart attack would you A: google it; or B: call an ambulance

Just for the record, it has never been acceptable to earth a property by a gas service pipe and earthing via a water, or any other, service pipe has not been permitted since 1966. I would have thought a 1940's property would have had its earth upgraded by now, any rewires done since 1966? But it is possible it still had a water pipe earth. Whichever it is, it is a matter of urgency to verify that the earth arrangements are adequate for the fuse box protective measures. Where about are you fieldda, I am sure one of our members would happily call in and check it if they were passing near you.

Doc H.