MEGGER 1720

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
:(

Anybody know what the latest firmware for these units is?

Fluke has gone for calbration so out with the new 3-4 months old MFT1720........trips RCCD's on a loop testX(

Just as well the Fluke was only at the wholesalers being cal'd, dropped in to see how much longer it would be & the fella pushed mine to the front of the que so I could crack on with my testing.....he took a look at the Megger and the verdict was:

"MFT 15XX range superb......releasing the 17XX range has damaged their reputation. Send it back to where you bought it or direct to Megger & request a firmware update & re-cal...your current firmware is 1.13"

Trusty Fluke never lets me down, so long as the batteries are ok.

My 1730 going back to them. My high current took a reading of .30 and the No-Trip took same test and read 1.10!!

I'm still sticking with my 1552, not had a prob with it, looks like the newer one has had a lot of bad press.

Have to say I'm not overly impressed with the new range..........glad I didnt move the trusty Fluke 1653 on to a new home when I purchased the Megger bag of winnets..............still waiting on a call back from Megger with regard to sending it back.

Regards the no trip test, swap the red green leads over and it won't trip the rcd.

I read about it, emailed megger and they confirmed it.

Works for me

Had same problem with my 1730 had bought it not got round to using it for about 6 months as still using trusty old 1553 contacted megger sent it back had it back within 3 days with updated firmware and all seems to be working correctly now there was a couple of other issues it had from what I can remember

Thinking of sending my 1730 back it's giving strange zs readings from time to time especially if testing zs without the neutral lead

Sockets test fine compared with my old fluke and there's big differences any one had ought like this

I'm sending my 1730 back in a couple of weeks for a calibration and a firmware update, they have made several improvements to the firmware,one being the issue with the null of the leads, after using long lead for R2 the memory does not clear unless you switch on off on, another is when you have leads in for half rated loop test you have an option to change to full test L-E, my machine actually tests L-N on full test unless you take the blue lead out and stick the green in it. There are more but I cannot remember them, give them a call if interested.

They know the original firmware was not to standard, and have improved it, the update is free but its getting it to them in Dover.

Other than that I really like the machine, my previous was the 1652, the 1730 is much better overall.

Megger have redeemed themselves a little...Had a call from the customer support Dept & they are arranging collection of the unit from me & say it will be back with me in two days.

So:Applaud weldone Megger for getting it sorted.

Thinking of sending my 1730 back it's giving strange zs readings from time to time especially if testing zs without the neutral lead Sockets test fine compared with my old fluke and there's big differences any one had ought like this
Alpha,

Did you know that with the 13A plug lead in Red,Green,Blue, when testing Full ZS it's testing Live-Neutral, to do Live-Earth you have to remove the Blue and let it hang free, and plug the green into the Blue socket.

Oh half rated if all plugs are in Red,Green,Blue it tests L-E.

Without checking mine (1730)

I thought you set it to p-e to do phase earth. And press arrows to do hi or low.

Then set dial to p-n to do phase neutral which is high current test only.

Without checking mine (1730)I thought you set it to p-e to do phase earth. And press arrows to do hi or low.

Then set dial to p-n to do phase neutral which is high current test only.
Pewter, you have the later firmware, that's why I need to get mine sent back for firmware update, Megger advised me that was one of the updates.

My machine is just over a year old and with dial on P-E it only does low.

Eh?????

On my 1730 to do the no trip you set the dial to L-PE and use the first two plug holes [red and green??] to do the high current test, you set the dial to L-L/L-N and use the red and blue plug holes...

If you go to do a test and you use the wrong holes, the display will flash up "CON" to tell you have used the wrong connections...

Pilot error i am afraid.... Before sending the machine back it would be a lot easier to read the instructions properly...

john...

Eh?????On my 1730 to do the no trip you set the dial to L-PE and use the first two plug holes [red and green??] to do the high current test, you set the dial to L-L/L-N and use the red and blue plug holes...

If you go to do a test and you use the wrong holes, the display will flash up "CON" to tell you have used the wrong connections...

Pilot error i am afraid.... Before sending the machine back it would be a lot easier to read the instructions properly...

john...
Well sorry to say I'm fully aware of that, so no pilot error here thanks.

What do you do when using the 13A plug lead then, for a full test ?? because if you have all leads in it tests L-N loop as it says in the instructions which is pointless.

And I can assure you that the new firmware allows you to have your leads in Red and Green and select Hi or Lo, so if that's how yours works you have a later firmware than those first released.

I had to re-read the instructions to make sure i knew what i was doing. I had an amendment instruction sheet in mine explaining the HI-LO test.

As i have used it that way since i bought it, i was confused reading how the old firmware worked and it made me question myself.

I think as app87 has said in another post, it is a very sensitive and can give different results if not connected to cables correctly. A bit to sensitive for the heavy handed.

I really like it and prefer it to other testers i have used, even though i will send to back to megger for recalibration and a firmware update when its due.

Wow, these Meggers seem Megger hard to operate, should have just stuck with the Fluke and get it right first time. Surely the whole point of a multi function tester is too simplify the job? Never mind doing the Lead shuffle.

Well I won't be changing my trusty old Fluke any time soon.

Eh?????On my 1730 to do the no trip you set the dial to L-PE and use the first two plug holes [red and green??] to do the high current test, you set the dial to L-L/L-N and use the red and blue plug holes...

john...
The "CON" bit is their way of telling you that you've just been had for a lump of dough...... Mine went back donkeys ago and the Fluke I replaced it with is far superior... simply because im not scratching my napa when it gives me a result......

Or is that cos I aint got a clue what I should expect.... Gulp....

john...
John.. Re read our above posts

When testing the trip times on a merlin MCCB 100mA vigi-unit. The instrument dosn't record the disconnection times just simply displays a trip message.

Anyboby have a similar issue or can shed any light on the problem?