Metal Only Enclosure Debate & New Ammendment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Ok somebody said ask the manufacturers so I did....

BG:

They sent an email.

[SIZE=10pt]Thank you for your product enquiry.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]At this stage the regulations are still in draft format and as such are not publicly available, until they are published we cannot comment on them and how they may affect our product range.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]If you have any further questions please feel free to call us on 08451 947 584 and speak to an operator. Our opening hours are 08:30 to 17:00 weekdays only (excluding bank holidays).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Kind regards[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]MK: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Had no reply as yet[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Electrium:[/SIZE]

​Actually had the area/regional director call me.

They are still in consultation with in the company, but the thinking is the amendment distinguishes between residential & commercial installations so they do not see the total phasing out of insulated (thermoplastic based) units, as they could still be used in the commercial environments.

He did however think in the future there would be a move  towards all metal based units for the domestic/residential installations, this will mean a phasing out of plastic units/enclosures. 

But as it stands they are looking at the amendment wording & detailing  that it mentions LOCATION of enclosure/consumer units;

example if it's in the garage then it could be plastic, if it's under the stairs it would be metal.

Electrium should be putting out a notice to the trade Sept/Oct with their take on the changes.

What about the excerpts from BS EN 61439-3 I posted?

Would be interesting to know their take on those changes which have already been implemented in the product standards?

Fancy passing this back to them?

I can't find the excerpts I posted now on the forum.

If the regs are still in draft form why are nicey and amtech offering amendment courses?

Good response though :)

Mantel units coming back into fashion? I hope not!
£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

has that answered your question?

I found that nic and amtech are linked in some way, also Looks like they all use the same poopty design firm.

I was trying not to be cynical but its hard not to be.

Im not comftable with all these "organisations" cashing in several months early but this is what the beast has become.

Sorry also if I detracted from what could be a useful thread...

:|

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts