Meter tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Hello all

Client wants CU upgrade. Noticed that tails are both red, but one is wrapped with black tape.

Is this something that needs to be rectified regardless, or something to note on EIC.

Thanks.

Neither of the above, any colour cables can be used for anything as long as they are appropriately identified at the connections.

Would this not just be a variation on the Blue/Brown T&E used at a light switch, with blue sleeved brown? Although I guess many electricians if changing the CU would probably change the tails anyway.

Doc H.

any tips on how to pull them through a really tight hole within a cavity wall down to the flush-mounted meter box outside!?

Or, if I can't pull them through and have to take them outside on the external wall, what's the best thing to run them in to protect them, taking into consideration the bend when it exits the wall and the other bend when they go back into the meter enclosure???

Cheers

any tips on how to pull them through a really tight hole within a cavity wall down to the flush-mounted meter box outside!?
Disconnect the old tails at both ends. Tape the ends of the old tails to the new ones, so they are butted up (not overlapping) and pleanty of tape a couple of inches either side of the join.

Pull and twist slowly - it helps if one pulls and the other pushes a little.

Hi, Nat, Oh these vets, honestly !!!! ;) Try stripping them , snip off six of the cores and form loops in the remaining core , same with the new tail, then tape up, squash up with pliers, liberal coating of Fairy Liquid and get someone to feed while you pull.

Or if they are 25mm , in good nick don't worry about the colours , leave them in .

Its highly unlikely that you will be able to pull new tails with the existing, especially if the hole is too small.

KME what's a "super-rod". I've got a set of rods that you extend as you need more length, but not sure they're up to the task!

Ohhhhh, cheers Deke.

I knew of the method you suggested earlier, but wasn't sure that would work with 25mm.

Surface option would be 2X2 PVC trunking .
That's what tech man at EDF suggested. I wasn't sure what sort of conduit would protect it from water ingress, etc, particularly where the cables came out of the brickwork and entered again next to the meter housing :|

Nat what you need to do is do it the way I do never had a failure yet. Strip the ends back a bit and crimp a through lug onto them that way what you are pulling through is no bigger than what you have there but is a good idea to get someone to give you a hand ie they push while you pull or vice versa.

default_good%20luck.gif

Latest posts