Music in tv adverts

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
The other day I was out with one of the lads, we passed a John Lewis van, "I remember their advert on tv" he said, "John Lewis, the window to watch". I shook my head, "wrong " I replied, "you're thinking of John Collier", they were a gent's outfitters in the 70's had an ad with a catchy tune, "John Collier, John Collier, the window to watch" , referring to the ever-changing window displays as they kept up with the latest fashion trends.

Lately I've been watching a channel on TV that has a lot of the old stuff on, quite a few of them begin with the old London Weekend Television, image and that little tune they played, Morecambe and Wise used it at the begining of their shows in the 70's, "here they come now, Morecambe and Wise".

It got me thinking about a cousin of mine, he knew every TV ad by the tune, one night we were all sat around, the radio was playing and the 1812 Overture began to play, "didn't know they had adverts on this station" he said, "what are you on about?" I asked, "listen, they're playing the Bacofoil advert" he replied, deadly serious.

It's funny how all these years later certain tunes remind me of adverts. 

And theres always the Hovis  bread music of course  !      Which , as I'm sure you know , is the New World Symphony  .   I think theres lots of 'em  .  People  hear the advert first and that becomes the association if they've never heard classical music before .    

Music can be very evocative  too  ,  I was thinking the other day  how the pop song of the day  ..whatever it was ..  good or bad ...can still take you back to THAT place ...to THAT  girl ...to THAT party  or THAT coffee  house .

I'd heard a snatch of Apache  by The Shadows  wafting from somewhere ......... took me back  500 yrs to coming out of night school  at 9.00 pm  & joining my mates in the coffee house where , at the time , the Juke Box was always playing  Apache.  

Another coffee house by Villa Park ,  all the girls who came in , without fail , played Elvis ,  Girl of my Best Friend .   Oh to go back in time  Eh! 

Last edited by a moderator:
And theres always the Hovis  bread music of course  !      Which , as I'm sure you know , is the New World Symphony  .   I think theres lots of 'em  .  People  hear the advert first and that becomes the association if they've never heard classical music before .    

Music can be very evocative  too  ,  I was thinking the other day  how the pop song of the day  ..whatever it was ..  good or bad ...can still take you back to THAT place ...to THAT  girl ...to THAT party  or THAT coffee  house .

I'd heard a snatch of Apache  by The Shadows  wafting from somewhere ......... took me back  500 yrs to coming out of night school  at 9.00 pm  & joining my mates in the coffee house where , at the time , the Juke Box was always playing  Apache.  

Another coffee house by Villa Park ,  all the girls who came in , without fail , played Elvis ,  Girl of my Best Friend .   Oh to go back in time  Eh! 
My wife says I live in the past, recently I've started buying stuff I had years ago, so far I've got a Black and Decker drill, same as first one I owned as a lad, several Avo's, a couple of old Kango's, and the other week I managed to pick up a complete Black and Decker powertool centre it came in a case, drill, all the attachments and loads of other stuff, only bought it because I wanted one when I was about 14 and my old fella said it was too dear for a Christmas present, mind you they were about a hundred quid.

My wife says I live in the past, recently I've started buying stuff I had years ago,
Oh  no  !!!   Where have I heard this before .   Recently  bought an Eagle Annual  on ebay  Dan Dare & co. 

Noticed in the Christmas adverts they 're pushing a Buddy Holly greatest Hits  CD   ...won't be buying it as I still play  the cassette  in the van.  

Peggy Sue got married just Yesterday    , I guess it doesn't Anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm saving up for one  but I thought  a Betamax  might come first , or maybe  sell the  gramophone  & get an electric one . 

Rubbish!!!!!!!

Sidewinder told us only last week that you still go out and purchase sheet-music, to give to the quartet who come round every Tuesday and Saturday to play some of the latest tunes for you...

AND  this is all still by candle-light, as you haven't taken the plunge to get connected to the electric grid yet...

So an electric gramophone will only sit gathering dust in your garage!

:shakehead

Latest posts