My fuse box?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demeter

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve just moved into my new house and there doesn’t seem to be a fuse box like any of my previous property’s 

It seems to be just an on off switch? 

Those grey metal boxes with the switches on the front have traditional wire fuse carriers inside them.

I would think the whole installation could do with an inspection & test to check the condition of everything....

As its looking pretty dated and lacks any devices to provide protection from electric shock.

I wonder if the previous owner was an industrial electrician having access to a few 'bits'...

And a Memshield 2000 with an HRC fuse!......Quite rare/unusual

I always imagine it being fitted by some 'old boy' 20 odd years ago who didn't trust these 'new fangled MCBs' and was having trouble getting hold of the wylex standard range 🤣

Though saying that. A collague who did a short span as maintenance on an industrial site that was owned by an international firm, told me that continued to use GEC red spot boards, apparently they'd had an inccidence of a counterfeit MCB ending up causing an inccident on one of their sites somewhere elsewhere in europe, and their response was to move away from MCB boards!

At one time ,    the last thing a spark would do,   when adding a circuit say,   is  make the decision  that the board needs upgrading.       Maybe because they were less affluent times ,  customer wouldn't go with that ... or the spark  didn't want to know ,  just add yet another sw/fuse , take the money & run .

Another point with domestic work ,   back in the day it would be rare to find a spare way in a board  .   I've seen many houses with just a 3 way  Wylex  ...Lts /  Plugs / Imm. Htr  . 

Spare ways  cost money back then ,   much like installing single sockets  , your local contractor would charge  double  to install a twin  SSO  . 

I've worked for a couple of  contractors years ago , who when doing  new build or rewire , if theres 4 circuits  ...fit a Wylex 4 way board .  

Same on industrial ,  fit a 4 way   TPN  board   so you'd have say ,  2 TPN machines  ... 1 x roller door..... 2 light circuits ... 1 small power circuit .   No expansion catered for .  

Thinking back ...that same firm always under estimated trunking sizes ...if it needed  ,say , 4x4  they'd send out 3x3  .    You would assume , until you learned,    that they know what they were doing but it soon became apparent that you were expected to ram a million cables into the 3x3  then get the lid on without crushing half of them .      

They had a storeman back at the office   ,   there were certain rules  like ,  you couldn't get a 1/4"  drill bit  to fit the stupid Enox  tank cutters .

They'd  give you a 5/32"   ...because " Its a 1/4" clearance "   

12"   x 32   Eclipse   hacksaw blade  ...no chance ..10"   flexible  ( bendy)  Ding-Dong  utter lettuced.    ( Remember , all the work then was steel conduit & trunking & SWA )        You could have a 12"   only if you were  cutting 6x6 trunking .   Dear oh dear .  

They would actually say ..." You had a hacksaw blade  4 weeks ago , whats happened to that ?"     ( Never say it broke ...it  always wore out) 

Once , when sitting in a traffic jam  I was interviewed by the AA  for their magazine .  I'd got out & replaced a windscreen wiper while waiting .

They put in their magazine ,   Mr Evans , an electrician returning to North Birmingham  ,  replaced the wiper etc .

Weeks later I was in the office when it was mentioned ,  they'd read it ,  "You must have been on the so & so job that day  ....we checked the time with the AA  as 5.30  so you didn't leave early then !!"     Tossers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There'll more than likely be asbestos flashbacks in there too so be careful if you start having a rummage inside them.