Mysterious nuisance tripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badfish

Reaction score
Hi all just wondering if you have any ideas on my problem.I have installed 12 down lights in a kitchen all 230 volt with kosnic 5watt led lamps.On the same circuit are 2 outside light fittings,2 under cabinet lights and 2 wall lights all fed from a Protek 6amp rcbo.All the other lights are fine but the 12 spots will intermediately trip the rcbo, i have re tested the circuit and all is ok with the cables and connections.I have also changed the switches.I then took all the led lamps out and put 230 volt halogens in,this then stopped the tripping.Cool i thought must be the lamps so i then changed all the led's with a fresh batch from the wholesalers, put these in one by one trying them out and all 12 went in with no tripping great problem solved.2 days later got a phone call the lights have tripped the rcbo again.Oh i have also changed the rcbo. :pray Does anyone have any ideas.

Many thanks

Iain.

Leave the halogens in for a few days see if it's ok if so give there technical dept a ring see wot they say

humble question master....If outside lights are automatics. IE off in daylight, on dim at dark, on full when movement.

could the varying load at wrong time cause problems.....apologies if I've Just bin tick...

How are the 12 LEDs switched, if its all on 1 may be its the switching surge of all 12 coming on together.

Try taking some out and see what happens, IF it solves it then split them over 2 or more switches.

No chance whatsoever is this a loading problem guys... 12 LEDs equates to 60 watt - the fact that the halogens don't trip should tell you this ...50watts x 12 !! Plus your outside lights couple of hundred watts maybe a piece and under cabinet lights even if full of halogens, not enough to be load problem... Have you done dead tests, continuity ins res etc???? Maybe they have rats and there knowing away at cable ??? It's a possibility , I've had it!!

It may just be coincidence that you changed back to halogens and it didn't trip... Rats on holiday!!,

Seriously though , how about trying the tests and if seems okay try a different brand of LEDs???

It is a strange one though......

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:41 ----------

****or mice....!

thank for all your answers no chance of mice as it is a new single storey pitched roof extension on a new circuit all dead test carried out twice and both times all ok.The outside lights are just operated by a switch.All connections have been checked I think that the halogens may have to go back in for a couple of day to see what happens,tis strange though as i always fit these lamps and never had a problem so far.

1/

Have you got an actual current reading the RCBO trips at? (ramp test value.)

2/

If you are happy all the dead tests do check out OK...

I would do a few live tests measuring the current up the individual conductors of the circuit ...

You would need a decent low ampage clamp meter, or you will have to connect a meter in series..

But on a 6A circuit can be done relatively safely...

Turn on ALL lights on the circuit..

measure Line current Neutral current & Earth current..

see if you got any borderline leakage.

It could be you got some earth leakage to within a few milliamps of the trip current, then just has a small glitch to take it over!

ALSO:-

3/

I have had in a past a traditional 230v down light that had been wired with an exposed CPC trapped back under a cable clamp over the insulation of a Neutral...

After the light had been on for a while the insulation softened allowing a small continuity which then tripped the RCD..

Once the light cooled down the insulation hardened again so cold cable test gave a "clear" IR relative to the age of the wiring....

('Clear' IR was in the 50 or 60 Megohms) ...

You may need to do a re-check visual on each of the down light connections?

Other than that.....

tell em to buy some nice romantic candles...

for when ever the power trips!!!!!!

GuinnessO)

hi i havn,t had much to do with leds however i installed a large 60 watt led floodlight and this tripped the b type mcb on switch on initial surge.

this was a new build i wired and all wiring was fine and tested ok, it just tripped the mcb when i switched the override switch or the light came on with the sensor.

zs value permitted so i changed to c type mcb and no problem since this was 5 months ago.

could it be that 12 4 watt leds when switched on give a initial surge on strike up simular to the flood light i had and require a c type rcbo.

providing youve checked and tested all the wiring as you say and no faults are present could be worth a shot

That is the point..

you need to establish if it is Overload or Leakage causing the trip..??

What about putting an MCB in the circuit for a limited period .. (say 2 or 3 weeks)

see if that trips?

Guinness