new bathroom extractor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Would it be ok to use the feed to the shower and fuse it down to provide a feed for a bathroom extractor?

If yes and it's an extractor with a timer over-run, would I then need the triple-pole switch after the FCU?

I ask because the shower switch is on the wall outside the bathroom and it would be much easier to take it from here (also what client would prefer), but would this mean an additional 2 switches? It might start to look a bit messy! :(

How effective are humidity extractors? Why am I seeing them priced from as cheap as

Not 100% sure but doesnt shower need to be on its own circuit? and cant you take the feed from the lights (fused down) rather than the shower?.

i have taken a feed from shower circuit before. bit of 2.5 (or 4mm) from switch to fused spur, then to fan

although the shower should be on its own, adding a fan isnt really much extra load so not really a problem

Thanks Andy. Would I still need the triple pole switch after the FCU then?

Where are you planning on getting your switched live from?

No doubt it will be frowned upon, but I agree with Andy, no great load added, I'd do it but it would be better from the lighting leaving the shower on a dedicated circuit.

If you are using a humidity fan , come from the live side of the shower switch with 2.5mm, to a spur, from spur to Humidity fan. Spur will act as isolator. No need for trigger wire with a H.Fan.

Deke

Not 100% sure but doesn't shower need to be on its own circuit? and cant you take the feed from the lights (fused down) rather than the shower?.
If you are following manufactures instruction almost certainly on its own dedicated circuit! ;)

i have put towel rads on with immersions before,

i put a note as a deviation on the cert

slightly off topic:coat

I know taking feed from the lighting circuit is ideal, but client isn't keen on extra work/mess this would cause - inaccessible from above.

So, if I do end up taking feed from shower circuit - do I need to put this on the cert as a deviation???

If you are using a humidity fan , come from the live side of the shower switch with 2.5mm, to a spur, from spur to Humidity fan. Spur will act as isolator. No need for trigger wire with a H.Fan.

Deke
Deke - what's a "trigger wire"? Do you mean a permanent live?

I've seen this one http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGXF100H.html which has an overrun, so I figured it needed a perm live.

Latest posts