new connection method

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
Gentlemen, are you a fan of Wago type connectors? Well allow me to introduce you to a couple of new products, the first one is the twisto, it requires no additional insulation, is cheaper than any other connector and fit's any type or size of cable. Also to complement these are a range of pushfit wiring accesories, perfect for when working in tight spaces, or if the cables are a tad short.

sockets_2[1].jpg

Now the pushfit socket, no need to worry about tightening screws, simply push wires into terminals, push back into box, and screw cover screws tight.

Seriously I found these on a job this week, the bulk of the house was fine, however it was easy to see where Mr DIY had been!

I unscrewd the first socket and found the wires just twisted around the original socket cables, the additions were feeding 2 twins, one over a sink (literally) and one for a washing machine!

The "pushfit" was just that, I removed the cover and the cables fell out, they hadn't worked loose, they were never tightened!

pf[1].jpg

And remind me how many spurs can you run from one socket?

Although Mr twisto didn't have any earth sleeving, he did seem to screw that one in?

The socket was originally on the ring, the 2 extra sets of cables appear to have been added by Mr DIY, one runs back into the ceiling and disappears, the other one runs horizontally to a socket over a sink, yes and I do mean over, it was literally about 200mm from the bowl, there was another cable out of this socket that went down below the worktop, then ran surface along the skirting, back up the wall, then fed another twin socket above the worktop.

At which point did someone think it was a good idea to do that? Another good one was in the bathroom, the original ceiling has been lowered, and cladded with tongue and groove, there is a small hole in the timber to allow the cord from the pullswitch to hang down, luckily the main part of the house is fine, and the kitchen/bathroom extension is being revamped after Christmas, so it's just a case of making it safe for now.

Latest posts