Oh wonder upon wonders!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After 500 years in the trade I beheld a wonderous sight today that I thought I would never see .

I open a meter cupboard on the site of a proposed new build ,with the intent to install a buider's socket and there I saw it ....in all its glory ... a sight more rare than Steptoe buying a round or The Coracle Kid being sober for more than a day .....a sight rarer than an Asian footballer playing for a Premireship club ...a sight only likely to be seen the same year that Villa win the League .

Was it a pile of rocking horse pooh I saw before me ? No , this shone like a bright etherial , heavenly light that brought many other sparks flocking to stand before the meter cupboard in wonderment and awe , some kneeling , some reaching out but afraid to touch, others pointing and whispering , some daring to capture the image on their phones .

Someone handed round loaves and fishes and we all ate , and as it grew dark no one wanted to leave , many others came ,as if drawn to the open meter cupboard door , their families came too , and the beasts of the field were there and peace fell upon them .

And then Forum members arrived , the Welsh ones immediatly forming a choir , Scottish ones chanting that there was no Part P in Scotland , Steptoe , leaping from his cart , hammers an earth rod in and tethers Hercules to it , someone from darn sarf paddled into view on the canal .He'd heard that water had been turned into lager.

A few shepherds were seated on the ground , washing their socks by night after treading in all the pooh left by the three wise men's camels .

No one could look directly upon this revered icon lest they be turned to stone so Stepps confirms the thoughts of thousands by looking through a mirror and announcing to the multitude .............

.............. "Yes it is indeed ... a meter with a built-in isolator , bearing the legend, Only to be opened by an electrical contractor" :Salute :Salute:tongue in cheek

I've told you, Scottish & Southern (know as "the Hydro" up here) have been fitting them for years.

My now 9 year old house has one.

The seal fairy doesn't need to visit Scotland as often as other places.

But yes this is the way forward. I only wish it was mandatory to have these isolators in ALL meters fitted from now on. The seal fairy could then slip into a well earned retirement.

I've told you, Scottish & Southern (know as "the Hydro" up here) have been fitting them for years.My now 9 year old house has one.

The seal fairy doesn't need to visit Scotland as often as other places.

But yes this is the way forward. I only wish it was mandatory to have these isolators in ALL meters fitted from now on. The seal fairy could then slip into a well earned retirement.
ProDave - you are correct as you say Scottish & Southern fit the little white meter, it does seem to be only single pole though.

Western Power fit 80A Double Pole Switch in enclosure when they feel like it.....just sayin.....

ProDave - you are correct as you say Scottish & Southern fit the little white meter, it does seem to be only single pole though.Western Power fit 80A Double Pole Switch in enclosure when they feel like it.....just sayin.....
A single pole isolator is better than no isolator. After all if the seal fairy comes, that's only single pole isolation.

But at least once you have unscrewed the "electrical contractor only" cover you have access to the isolator AND the outgoing terminals from the meter. So when say doing a CU change you can legally and safely fit new tails direct from the meter to the new CU.

I really do wish this sort of meter became mandatory for all fitments. the only other "complaint" is that it's only single rate meters that have these, so there's no isolation available on off peak dual rate meters.

Dave , this one has a dual rate connection to one of the older E7 time switches .

Praps its 'coz we have Part P darn 'ere ;)
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

I could post a pic later , its a Siemens meter by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Sandra, I'm proud of you. :) :Applaud

snap

last couple of cu changes had the same be nice if they were all like that, i asked a guy fitting a smart meter a bit back if it would have a built in isolator but no you have to ring up and get a seprate one fitted.

06022012715.jpg

Delete what you don't want between the quote bits in brackets....

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:54 ----------

After 500 years in the trade I beheld a wonderous sight today that I thought I would never see .I open a meter cupboard on the site of a proposed new build ,with the intent to install a buider's socket and there I saw it ....in all its glory ... a sight more rare than Steptoe buying a round or The Coracle Kid being sober for more than a day .....a sight rarer than an Asian footballer playing for a Premireship club ...a sight only likely to be seen the same year that Villa win the League .

Was it a pile of rocking horse pooh I saw before me ? No , this shone like a bright etherial , heavenly light that brought many other sparks flocking to stand before the meter cupboard in wonderment and awe , some kneeling , some reaching out but afraid to touch, others pointing and whispering , some daring to capture the image on their phones .

Someone handed round loaves and fishes and we all ate , and as it grew dark no one wanted to leave , many others came ,as if drawn to the open meter cupboard door , their families came too , and the beasts of the field were there and peace fell upon them .

And then Forum members arrived , the Welsh ones immediatly forming a choir , Scottish ones chanting that there was no Part P in Scotland , Steptoe , leaping from his cart , hammers an earth rod in and tethers Hercules to it , someone from darn sarf paddled into view on the canal .He'd heard that water had been turned into lager.

A few shepherds were seated on the ground , washing their socks by night after treading in all the pooh left by the three wise men's camels .

No one could look directly upon this revered icon lest they be turned to stone so Stepps confirms the thoughts of thousands by looking through a mirror and announcing to the multitude .............

.............. "Yes it is indeed ... a meter with a built-in isolator , bearing the legend, Only to be opened by an electrical contractor" :Salute :Salute:tongue in cheek
Top post Evans but, 1:08am..... Really!!!! You must have started it at 730pm eh.....":Applaud

British gas have it right (the only thing)rec2 or rec4 bottom sealed top left open. Fit them and leave none of the gotta have a 'cert crap' that they dont look at or dont know what they are looking at.

Delete what you don't want between the quote bits in brackets....---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:54 ----------

Top post Evans but, 1:08am..... Really!!!! You must have started it at 730pm eh.....":Applaud
I know ....couldn't sleep ...logged in to see if any others were up but no,no ne to talk to. :_|

Except the 86 guests ......!! And the members fast asleep and ****ed slumped by their computer/laptop/iPad/iPhone/blackberry.... Or in steps case, his lager can with a bit of string through the bottom......... ROTFWL

Probably attached to his earth rod outside so he can wish it goodnight !

86 guests I never saw them , who the hell were they?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:00 ----------

Well done Sandra, I'm proud of you. :) :Applaud
I'm not as daft as you look Addy .......... now how do I send a text on my Raspberry ?? :C

Dunno but there were 100's other week, I'm guessing admin clear them out now and again??