Old Tools

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Image015.jpg

Some tools I've had for years .

L to R

The bash it down behind the skirting board Tool. ( Still in use)

The "Ohm-tite" Bush spanner ( hardly ever used TBH)

The dreaded Enox cutter ( Utter carp, only choice until the Starrett appeared)

The " Locknut-king" Locknut spanner. ( only used once)

All sizes Pyro stripper. ( Home made , used for years still in use )

Stocks &Dies ( Hardly used these days, many miles on the clock)

Tallow, always remember the Irish plasterers asking for mine so they could cook the bacon and eggs in a dustbin lid over two concrete blocks and small fire underneath, this was in the middle of a lounge in a block of flats.

No health and safety in those days.

Been trying to sell those stocks n dies to a one armed sparks for years.

Did you ever use the "Ohm-tite" ?
Oh yes, i mentioned it here a short while ago. They were standard issue on Hadens (Haden Young when i joined them) and i never saw them being used by other firms. We were told Hadens held a competition for making the job easier and one of their sparkys invented it and one the comp, probably 2/6 :slap . The Ohm Tite was originally imperial and i rember having to hammer the gaps up everytime the bushes had more brass scimmed off.

Oh yes, i mentioned it here a short while ago. They were standard issue on Hadens (Haden Young when i joined them) and i never saw them being used by other firms. We were told Hadens held a competition for making the job easier and one of their sparkys invented it and one the comp, probably 2/6 :slap . The Ohm Tite was originally imperial and i rember having to hammer the gaps up everytime the bushes had more brass scimmed off.
Ah Haden Young I remember them ...big outfit .

I think I heard the story of a guy inventing the Ohm-tite ...I also heard that an NICEIC guy marketed the "Bush King" which I salso still have kicking around in the van somewhere.

If no one else posts a pic of the "Bush King" I'll dig it out .

Tallow, always remember the Irish plasterers asking for mine so they could cook the bacon and eggs in a dustbin lid over two concrete blocks and small fire underneath, this was in the middle of a lounge in a block of flats.

No health and safety in those days.
Blimey Steve ... I was on that job too . Also steaks cooked on the back of a shovel . As you say , in the winter ( usually below freezing all day) the Paddys would light a brazier inside the building .

Blimey Steve ... I was on that job too . Also steaks cooked on the back of a shovel . As you say , in the winter ( usually below freezing all day) the Paddys would light a brazier inside the building .
:slap

is it just me or is there really stuff that I may see as normal that English people find

1 - highly amusing

2 - un-understandable

3 - slightly strange

4 - or just totally all F'in wrong

not so much now, but occasionally the wife will find something I do or say either really odd or just wrong, either I dont do it so much anymore, or she has just gotten more used to me.

:C

You're becoming Englishised Stepps!!! Its like that film "The Body Shatchers" where a pod is left next to you as you sleep , when you awake the pod has taken your identity .

So the longer you are in England the more English you become . You will know when the process is complete when you find that you cannot continue with life until you've had a " nice cup of tea" and listened to the latest episode of The Archers.