Options to protect cables entering consumer unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyboy

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm doing some remedial work following an unsatisfactory EICR I carried out.
One of the things to do is to provide mechanical protection to the cables entering the consumer unit. They were simply lashed in through the knockouts without any grommet or gland.
The property is currently tenanted (HMO) so minimal disruption is preferred. My ideal solution would be to remove said cables from the consumer unit completely and start from scratch, installing compression glands or fire grommets. This would take 1-2 hours.
Another way would be to install grommet strip but we all know that comes off sooner or later.

Has anyone else got a quicker way which is just as effective?

Ta.

Minimal disruption = the time to do the job properly.

I'm not sure I'd use grommet strip ..................... and whats wrong with standard grommets?

Minimal disruption = the time to do the job properly.

I'm not sure I'd use grommet strip ..................... and whats wrong with standard grommets?
Nothing wrong with using standard grommets, but if I'm doing the effort of removing all cables and starting from scratch I may as well use fire grommets or a gland... personal preference and best for IP in my opinion.

On some videos I've seen 10mm x 6mm grommet strip used in preference to the much smaller strip that often comes with a CU.

On large rectangular knockouts, probably too bulky for small circular openings.

A bit like the capping you find on the welded edges of a car door opening.

Really secure, but sometimes Super Glued on !

Grommet strip secured with "super glue"?
Also remember that there is no change in the IP rating requirements of a CU, since the non-combustible clause came into 7671.
That is not to say you can't do better than 7671 requires, but you don't have to.
That is there is no requirement for the consumer unit to be "fire sealed", or have intumescent pads etc. unless the CU OEM requires this.

The best grommet strip is ( car door edge protection stop off Amazon ) fits perfect and no glue required been doing it 40 years and this is the dogs doo dars and never comes off as you push a bunch of cables through.

Back in the day those of us of a certain age made our own grommet strip. Strip length of Twin length ways with knife. Save the larger of the two sides. Snip into a castellated formation. Fit. Forget

Never yet found grommet strip that can withstand wrangling 10 cables throughout it. I used to like ( along with Sir Deke ) CGD/Lewden consumer units. They have Square knockouts and come with really good gaskets that can be punctured or opened out. However I am now using Elucian units
Wiska make a very nice push through sealing grommet BUT it's only suitable for up to about 1.5 Twin, however their cable glands are "the dogs back wheels" and not expensive

Also remember that there is no change in the IP rating requirements of a CU, since the non-combustible clause came into 7671.
That is not to say you can't do better than 7671 requires, but you don't have to.
That is there is no requirement for the consumer unit to be "fire sealed", or have intumescent pads etc. unless the CU OEM requires this.

The youtube crowd like snotting up the back of boards with fire sealent like its a ******* moneyshot!

Most of the time, it doesn't infer much of an advantage*, and makes it a pain to add cirucits.

*I think the only time it can be most of an advantage is where there is a sizeable building void thats open/of unknown construction behind the board (he clangdon house scenero) especially if the building is multiple fire zones and there is suspician the compartmentisation is not established correctly - e.g. the victorian houses converted to flats and there is a big hole in the plasterboard behind the CU and its not clear whether that PB dispite not being fire rated is possibly the only thing sectioning off a large building void from each flat...

I don’t think the CPS’s have covered themselves in glory regarding this matter ….. they are the organisations that have suggested the fire rated sealant is required….

The youtube crowd like snotting up the back of boards with fire sealent like its a ******* moneyshot!

Most of the time, it doesn't infer much of an advantage*, and makes it a pain to add cirucits.

*I think the only time it can be most of an advantage is where there is a sizeable building void thats open/of unknown construction behind the board (he clangdon house scenero) especially if the building is multiple fire zones and there is suspician the compartmentisation is not established correctly - e.g. the victorian houses converted to flats and there is a big hole in the plasterboard behind the CU and its not clear whether that PB dispite not being fire rated is possibly the only thing sectioning off a large building void from each flat...
Cutting into voids or breaching fire barriers is something completely different to consider than “fire sealing” a consumer unit.